Free Training and Development Event: ThinkWrite Quality Papers
The NIHR Biomedical Research Centre (BRC) Southampton in collaboration with the Southampton Academy of Research (SoAR) are proud to present the second of four training events in support of education, training and career development of Early Career Researchers (ECRs) within the Biomedical Research Centre Southampton.
- Where: Virtual event - Zoom platform
- When: Tuesday 19 January 2021
- Time: 09:00 – 12:30 hrs
Over the past 20 years, around 30,000 people have experienced our Quality Papers workshop in traditional face-to-face workshops, many saying that the ideas changed their whole approach to writing.
Quality Papers will help you if you enjoy research, but find writing papers is either scary or just takes too long. You are under pressure to 'get published' in high ranking journals, but the current need to work from home means that you are overwhelmed with balancing home, family and daily commitments and can't concentrate whenever you try to make progress.
The workshop gives strategies for streamlining thinking, writing and editing. Whether a postgraduate about to write your first paper, a post-doctoral researcher trying to turn your thesis into papers, or a PI wanting to increase tour team’s efficiency when writing papers, the Quality Papers workshop can help you no matter what stage of your career you are in.
The tried and tested ideas have now been packaged into a three-phase blended-learning workshop:
Phase 1: When you sign-up we will send you a link to a 40-min video that you can watch at your own pace. This video also sets some small tasks that will help you to prepare for the live webinars.
Phase 2: You can then login to two 90-min live webinars where you can meet Pete, ask questions and learn in a small breakout groups.
Phase 3: You can sign in to receive 5 follow-up emails that embed the workshop in your workplace.
We will be delivering the two 90-minute sessions as follows:
During the workshop participants will:
- Analyse the structure of papers, revealing aspects of editorial thinking.
- Create a blank ‘map’, scoping the scale of the writing task and presenting it as a Step-Tree flow charm or list of bullet points.
- Determine the ‘message’ of the research, creating a clear focus of the document.
- Agree authorship is more about team discipline and diplomacy than rules.
- Research paragraph use in Introductions (and other areas), revealing the narrative structures found in academic papers.
- Select information by combing ‘message’ and ‘structure’, creating a tool that lets you pull what is needed at the same time as showing what information can legitimately be left out.
- Decide on the order of information in your first draft, listing it on a post it.
SoAR has arranged for the team at ThinkWrite (www.thinkwrite.biz) to run their virtual blended workshop ‘Quality Papers’ for Early Career Researchers at BRC Southampton and affiliates.
The event will be aimed at Early Career Researchers working within, or associated with the BRC. Whilst priority will in the first instance be given to BRC associated Early Career Researchers, if we can we will offer places to people outside the BRC.
Places for the ThinkWrite workshop are limited and therefore competitive.
Applying for a space
To apply for a space on this workshop, please fill in the application form here
Deadline for applications are Monday 9th November 2020 at 23:00hrs