Warwick, Professor David
MD BM FRCS FRCSOrth EDHS
Hand and wrist conditions
Training and education
- Medical degree - University of Southampton, 1986
- Fellow - Royal College of Surgeons, 1989
- Diploma in hand surgery - European Hand Society
- Doctorate - University of Bristol, 2005
Prof Warwick completed hand surgery fellowships in Oxford (1997) and Sydney (1998).
Prof Warwick is the senior hand surgeon in the Wessex area. He's qualified with the European diploma of hand surgery, and has been based at University Hospital Southampton since 1998. His teaching, research, and international reputation were rewarded by the University of Southampton with an honorary professorship in 2013. His NHS contribution has been rewarded with a bronze clinical excellence award.
Prof Warwick looks after hand problems for many elite teams, such as Southampton Football Club, Hampshire County Cricket Club, London Irish Rugby, and the British sailing and hockey teams. His particular clinical interests are Dupuytren’s disease, rheumatology, distal radio-ulnar joint problems, hand trauma and wrist instabilities. He works with leading law firms to provide advice on medicolegal issues.
If you're referred to Prof Warwick’s hand service, he and his team will do their best to diagnose your problem, learn about what you want and help you decide what is best for you. They'll discuss the benefits and drawbacks of each potential treatment. Although surgical treatment might be needed, wherever possible we try simple non-operative treatments such as therapy and injections.
Prof Warwick bases his hand and wrist service on constant technical practice, education and reflection to ensure he provides the most up-to-date, safe and appropriate care. As a professor, he has the opportunity to teach, research, write and attend postgraduate meetings which give unrivalled opportunities to remain informed and current.
- Visiting professor - Australian Orthopaedic Association, 2015
- Executive committee member - International Society for Surgery of the Hand, 2016
- Visiting professor - South African Hand Society, 2017
- Associate editor - Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons
- Editorial board member - European Journal of Hand Surgery, the Bone and Joint Journal and the Italian Hand Journal
Key awards and prizes
- Hunterian professorship - Royal College of Surgeons, 1998
- Gold medal - European Diploma of Hand Surgery, 2004
- Honorary professorial fellowship - University of Southampton, 2013
- Bronze award - National Clinical Excellence, 2012 (renewed 2016)
Professor Warwick has published over 70 papers in peer reviewed journals. He's the editor of the Oxford Handbook of Hand Surgery (next edition currently being prepared) & Apley and Solomon’s System of Orthopaedics and Trauma. He's lectured in the UK and abroad on dozens of occasions as invited speaker on various topics.