Datta, Mr Gorav
MD, FRCS (Tr & Orth)
Trauma and orthopaedics
- Hip and knee surgery
- Pelvic and acetabular trauma
- General trauma
Training and education
- Undergraduate training, University College London Medical School
- Basic surgical training, Hammersmith Hospital surgical rotation, London
- Higher surgical training, North West Thames orthopaedic rotation, London
Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital, Stanmore: Sarcoma and joint reconstruction
Mr Datta gained experience in managing bone and soft tissue sarcoma as well as tertiary referrals for complex hip and knee pathology during this one year fellowship. He also built experience in the use of massive endoprosthesis in tumour surgery and for failed primary and revision arthroplasty. Mr Datta performed numerous cartilage transplants in this unit.
St George’s Hospital, London: Pelvic and acetabular trauma, joint reconstruction
During this fellowship, at the UK's largest centre for pelvic and acetabular trauma, Mr Datta gaining experience in the management of these complex fractures, as well as working in a level 1 trauma centre.
Mr Datta has worked for the Trust since January 2011. He has experience in general orthopaedics and all aspects of trauma surgery.
Awards and prizes
- Doctor of Medicine Research Degree, Imperial College London
- A research grant awarded for the MD research project by the department of musculoskeletal surgery, Imperial College, London.
Mr Datta’s MD research thesis, ‘Changes in Paraspinal Muscle as a Result of Surgery and its Impact on Outcome’ was a collaborative project at Imperial College London between the musculoskeletal and neurosurgical departments. The research investigated muscle damage following spinal surgery as well as methods to reduce damage and improve outcome. Results were published in Orthopaedic and Neurosurgical journals.
Mr Datta has also conducted research into femoro-acetabular impingement following acetabular fractures, and has numerous publications in other areas of research as well as a chapter in the Stanmore Operative guide.