Arunachalam, Dr Ramamurthy
Clinical neurophysiology and neurosciences
Training and education
Dr Arunachalam worked as a specialist registrar in clinical neurophysiology at King’s College Hospital, London, from 2001 to 2006.
Dr Arunachalam joined the Trust in 2006. He has experience in electroencephalography (EEG), evoked potentials (EPs) and nerve conduction studies, as well as routine and specialised electromyography (EMG) and electroretinography (ERG).
His particular interests include motor unit physiology, direct muscle stimulation, single fibre EMG and transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS).
Dr Arunachalam considers his key achievements to be setting up intraoperative motor evoked potential monitoring and transcranial magnetic stimulation services in Southampton.
Awards and prizes
- International Federation of Clinical Neurophysiologists fellowship and cash prize award on three occasions
- Fellowship and cash award from Guarantors of Brain
Dr Arunachalam has carried out research and published work on TMS, direct muscle stimulation, nerve and muscle fibre excitability.
His publications include:
- Kashyape PS, Arunachalam R, Kennedy CR. Latrogenic bradycardia-asystole as a complication of an intracranial Ommaya reservoir. J Paed Neurol. 2013 Sep; 11(3):183-7.
- Clapham L, Thomas S, Allen D, Arunachalam R, Cole J. Facial muscle contraction in response to mechanical stretch after severe facial nerve injury: Clapham's sign. J Laryngol Otol. 2011 Jul;125(7):732-7.
- Burke D, Hammans S, Allen D, Arunachalam R, Beeson D. A treatable muscle disease. Pract Neurol. 2009 Aug;9(4):233-6.
- Allen D, Arunachalam R. Emerging clinical applications of neurophysiological assessment of sarcolemmal excitability. Adv Clin Neurosci Rehab. 2008 Sep/Oct; 8(4):26-28.
- Allen D, Arunachalam R, Mills K. Re: A handheld nerve conduction measuring device in carpal tunnel syndrome. Acta Neurol Scand. 2008 Sep;118(3):203-5.
- Valentin A, Arunachalam R, Mesquita-Rodrigues A, Garcia Seoane JJ, Richardson MP, Mills KR, Alarcon G. Late EEG responses triggered by transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) in the evaluation of focal epilepsy. Epilepsia. 2008 Mar;49(3):470-80.
- Allen DC, Arunachalam R, Mills KR. Critical illness myopathy: further evidence from muscle-fiber excitability studies of an acquired channelopathy. Muscle Nerve. 2008 Jan;37(1):14-22.
- Lasserson D, Mills K, Arunachalam R, Polkey M, Moxham J, Kalra L. Differences in motor activation of voluntary and reflex cough in humans. Thorax. 2006 Aug;61(8):699-705.
- Arunachalam R, Weerasinghe V and Mills KR. Motor control of rapid sequential finger tapping in humans. J Neurophysiol 2005; 94:2162-2170.
- Arunachalam R, Osei-Lah A and Mills KR. Transcutaneous cervical root stimulation in the diagnosis of multifocal motor neuropathy with conduction block. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2003; 74: 1329-1331.