Harvey, Mr Jason
MBBS, FRCS(Ed), FRCS (Tr&Orth)
Adult spinal surgery
- Degenerative conditions of the cervical (neck region) and lumbar (lower back) spine
- Treatment of spinal fractures and infections
Training and education
- St George’s Hospital Medical School, University of London (graduate 1992)
- Higher surgical training in the Wessex Deanery
- Spinal fellowship in Brisbane, Australia, 2003 to 2004
During higher surgical training Mr Harvey developed his interest in spinal surgery, gaining experience in Southampton, Portsmouth and Winchester. He then undertook a spinal fellowship in Brisbane, Australia. On returning from Australia Mr Harvey worked as a spinal consultant at Frenchay Hospital, Bristol from 2004 to 2005, obtaining further experience in another specialist spinal unit, prior to being appointed as a spinal surgeon at Queen Alexandra Hospital Portsmouth in 2005. At Queen Alexandra Hospital, he was the lead surgeon for spinal services until 2018, when Mr Harvey joined the new Wessex spinal service at UHS.
Mr Harvey sees patients with:
- cervical and lumbar degenerative conditions
- cervical and lumbar disc prolapses
- cervical cord compression (myelopathy)
- back pain and sciatica
- cervical disc replacement
- spondylolisthesis (a spinal condition that causes lower back pain)
- spinal infection
- spinal tumours.
Mr Harvey has been invited to lecture and teach internationally on subjects related to the cervical spine, including cervical disc replacement surgery and cervical anatomy. He is the author of several book chapters within spinal textbooks.
Mr Harvey is a trustee of the Fortius Research and Education Foundation, which supports research into musculoskeletal conditions and treatments.
- Browse’s Introduction to Symptoms and Signs of Surgical Disease (6th Edition)
Chapter 9 Spine and Pelvis Symptoms and Signs
J Harvey, G Towlerton
In Print March 2021
- Gray’s Surgical Anatomy
Chapter: Cervical Spine Anatomy
JR Harvey, S Ramakrishna
- Atlas of Surgical Approaches to the Head and Neck
Chapter: Approaches to the Cervical Spine
JR Harvey H Dabasia
Taylor and Francis Group, 2016
You can contact Mr Harvey via his secretary, Carol Evens - call 023 8120 8942 or send an email.