McGillion, Mr Stephen
BSc (Hons), MBBS, MRCS(Eng), FRCS (Tr&Orth)
Trauma and orthopaedics
Adult spinal surgery
Training and education
- Undergraduate education at St Bartholomew’s and The Royal London School of Medicine and Dentistry, University of London
- Intercalated BSc in Anatomy with honours distinction
- Higher surgical training in trauma and orthopaedics in Wessex deanery, including spinal surgery rotations in Portsmouth and Southampton
Spinal fellowship at Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre and John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford University Hospitals NHS Trust
Mr McGillion was appointed consultant orthopaedic spinal surgeon at University Hospital Southampton in 2012.
After completing his basic surgical training, he focused his interest on spinal surgery and has since worked in some of the UK’s leading centres for spinal studies including Great Ormond Street Children’s Hospital, King's College Hospital and University Hospital Southampton. Mr McGillion was later awarded a spinal fellowship at the internationally renowned spinal unit in Oxford, where he underwent further training in advanced spinal surgical techniques.
Mr McGillion's clinical practice includes all aspects of spinal surgery in adults including degenerate conditions of the spine, spinal deformity (scoliosis), spinal trauma and spinal oncology and metastatic disease. He has a particular interest in the degenerate spine and spinal deformity correction including complex spinal osteotomy for sagittal plane deformity in adults.
Awards and prizes
- Gauvain Society 1st prize, 2010.
- Full Honours Colours (medical school).
- ‘Worshipful Company of Barber Surgeons’ Award for BSc research into muscle development.
You can contact Mr McGillion via his secretary, Donna Hotston - call 023 8120 8673.