Davis, Dr Carol L
MBBS, MA, FRCP
Training and education
- MBBS, The London Hospital, 1983
- MA Cantab, 1983
- Fellowship of the Royal College of Physicians, 1997
Dr Davis has worked for the Trust since March 1995 as a consultant in palliative medicine, and as a senior lecturer at the University of Southampton.
She previously worked as a senior lecturer and honorary consultant in palliative medicine at the Royal Marsden Hospital, from 1992 to 1995.
Since March 2000 Dr Davis has been a Macmillan consultant in palliative medicine at the Trust.
- Team leader for the hospital palliative care team since April 1995.
- Clinical lead for cancer care from March 2004 to November 2008.
- Lead consultant for palliative medicine at UHS since January 2007.
- Member of the Hampshire PCT End of Life Care Programme Board since October 2008.
- Track record of research in palliative care, particularly about palliation of breathlessness.
- Lectured widely nationally and internationally on many aspects of palliative care, particularly relating to breathlessness.
Awards and prizes
SUHT Chairman’s Award (2007) recognising clinical work.
- Boyland L, Davis CL. Patients’ experiences of carcinoma of unknown primary site: dealing with uncertainty. Palliative Medicine 2008; 22: 177-183.
- Davis CL, Percy G. Breathlessness, Cough and other Respiratory Problems In: ABC of Palliative Care, Second Edition, pages 13-16, 2006, Blackwell Publishing.
- Hawker S, Kerr C, Payne S, Seamark D, Davis C, Roberts H, Jarrett N, Roderick P, Smith P. End-of-life care in community hospitals: the perceptions of bereaved family members. Palliative Medicine 2006; 20: 541-547.