May, Miss Kristina
BA (hons) Cantab., MB ChB, FRCOphth
Training and education
- Cambridge University
- Manchester University Medical School
- Member of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists
Miss May is a consultant paediatric ophthalmologist and college tutor who joined the Trust in 2009. Although she does see a small number of adult patients, most of her work is with children.
Miss May treats patients with a wide range of eye problems, and has set up a consultant-run service for children with uveitis (inflammation of the uvea, the middle layer of the eye). Patients are referred to this service from as far as Dorset, Surrey, the Isle of Wight and the Channel Islands. She also runs a service for infants with capillary haemangiomas, abnormal growths of blood vessels sometimes called strawberry marks, in the area around their eyes.
Along with Miss Stephanie West, Miss May runs a service for retinopathy of prematurity, an eye disease affecting premature babies, at the Princess Anne Hospital. She also performs surgery to correct squints in children and adults, and treats a range of retinal diseases in children.
Miss May is a college tutor for ophthalmic trainees in the Wessex Deanery. Here at University Hospital Southampton, Miss May is the director of medical education for division B.
- Establishing a consultant-led referral service for paediatric uveitis at UHS.
- Establishing a new treatment service for periocular capillary haemangioma using the medicine propranolol in 2010.
- Becoming a college tutor in November 2015 - in 2016, she was commended by the School of Surgery for her work in this role.
You can contact Miss May via her secretary, Chloe Mabey - call 023 8120 4445 or send an email.