West, Miss Stephanie
Paediatric ophthalmology, strabismus (squints) and cataract surgery
Training and education
- BM, University of Southampton, 2001.
- FRCOphth, Royal College of Ophthalmologists, 2011.
- Fellowship in paediatric ophthalmology and strabismus, Sickkids, Toronto 2012.
- Fellowship in paediatric ophthalmology and strabismus, Moorfields Eye Hospital 2013.
Miss West joined the Trust in July 2013 as a consultant ophthalmologist after completing her specialist training in Nottingham and Bristol and her sub-specialist training in paediatric ophthalmology and strabismus (squints) in Sickkids, Toronto and Moorfield’s Eye Hospital.
Miss West looks after children with eye problems as well as adults with strabismus and general ophthalmological conditions. She also performs and teaches cataract surgery.
- Improvement of service quality in paediatric ophthalmology outpatients in Moorfield’s Eye Hospital, including the reduction of time spent waiting in clinic by patients and their families.
Awards and prizes
- The Elkington prize for ophthalmology, University of Southampton, 2001.
- The David Telling Charitable Trust grant for endophthalmitis research, 2007.
- The J D Morin prize for best fellow, Sickkids Toronto 2012.
- Carter, J. G., West, S. K., Painter, S., Haynes, R. J., & Churchill, A. J. (2010). β‐Defensin 1 haplotype associated with postoperative endophthalmitis. Acta ophthalmologica, 88(7), 786-790.
- Joshi, L., West, S. K., & Herbert, L. (2013). Survey of policy for MRSA screening in English cataract surgical units and changes to practice after updated National guidelines. BMC ophthalmology, 13(1), 80.
- West, S. K., Griffiths, B., Shariff, Y., Stephens, D., & Mireskandari, K. (2013). Utilisation of an outpatient sedation unit in paediatric ophthalmology: safety and effectiveness of chloral hydrate in 1509 sedation episodes. British Journal of Ophthalmology, 97(11), 1437-1442.
You can contact Miss West via Wendy Rowe by phoning 023 8120 3617, by faxing 023 8120 4120, or by emailing Wendy.Rowe@uhs.nhs.uk.