Self, Mr James Edward
BM FRCOphth PhD
Paediatric ophthalmology and oculo-genetics
Training and education
- BM, University of Southampton, 1999
- PhD, University of Southampton, 2009
- FRCOphth, Royal College of Ophthalmologists, 2012.
Mr Self joined UHS as consultant in May 2013, after completing his specialist training in ophthalmology in Southampton, and in paediatric ophthalmology in Manchester. His research training was through a prestigious Medical Research Council clinical research training fellowship/PhD in ophthalmic molecular genetics and nystagmus.
Mr Self is lead ophthalmologist for the oculo-genetics, paediatric cataract and paediatric nystagmus services at UHS. He is also a senior lecturer and examiner at the University of Southampton, and has various associated teaching and research roles.
Mr Self is advisor to INvision research charity, has formally advised the Nystagmus Network charity, and is a board member of the Gift of Sight charity. He also works with local and national community groups and schools to promote public awareness and engagement in science.
Awards and prizes
- Medical Research Council clinical research training fellowship grant
- Nominated for national bioscience communication award 2009 for public engagement in science work
- Ophthalmic genetics
- Paediatric ophthalmic surgery
Information on Mr Self's research and publications is available on the University of Southampton website.
You can contact Mr Self via his secretary Lynette Gregory - call 023 8120 3617 or send an email.