Minimum standards of care for all adult patients with diabetes
Ward staff (medical and nursing) commitment
- All patients with diabetes on the ward will be identifiable to all ward staff by utilising the ‘Thinkglucose’ logo on the patient status at a glance boards
- Initial, immediate and appropriate action will be taken for managing hypoglycaemia and hyperglycaemia before referring to the diabetes team
- All patients’ feet will be assessed and results documented within 24 hours of admission for signs of foot disease and the patient will be referred for specialist assessment as appropriate
- Safe practices for using insulin (in accordance with insulin guidelines) will be observed at all times
- Bolus or pre-mixed insulins or oral diabetes medications will be given before or at mealtimes as recommended in the manufacturer guidance
- Insulin will always be prescribed even when patients are self-administering
- The self-administration of insulin will be supported where appropriate
- Patients will be referred to the diabetes team for review as needed
- Ward staff will be kept up to date with diabetes where necessary.
Diabetes inpatient team commitment
- A diabetes patient review will be provided where indicated
- Diabetes educational material will be provided for staff, patients, carers and relatives where necessary
- A diabetes discharge plan will be provided where necessary
- Learning from incidents related to diabetes will be disseminated
- Re-admissions to the trust within 30 days due to uncontrolled diabetes will be reviewed and plans put in place with community providers to prevent further admissions.
- To inform staff if they need diabetes support.