Blood, heart and circulation
Our cardiovascular and thoracic service diagnoses and treats conditions affecting organs inside the chest (the thorax), mainly the lungs and heart, and the major blood vessels that affect circulation.
Our cardiac centres is mainly based in the £60m state-of-the-art North Wing at Southampton General Hospital, and includes cutting edge catheter labs, a specialist cardiac intensive care unit and a dedicated cardiac MRI scanner.
The range of services available include
- cardiac surgery and thoracic surgery
- cardiac rhythm management (focusing on heart rhythm disorders)
- congenital cardiac service (treating disorders that can affect the heart or major blood vessels)
- haemophilia and bleeding disorders
- non-invasive cardiology
- rapid access chest pain clinic
- transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI)
- vascular services (focusing on disorders of the blood vessels)
- Wessex heart valve clinic.
Our hospitals also treat blood disorders with a dedicated haematology centre, and Southampton's Piam Brown unit is the regional paediatric oncology and haematology centre for the central south coast.