Wessex Trauma Network
Running beyond the geographic coverage of NHS South Central, the Wessex Trauma Network is a regional network comprising all hospitals in the Wessex area along with the region's ambulance trusts.
Each hospital within this area is designated as a trauma unit or local hospital depending on the services they have on site, and links to Southampton General Hospital as the major trauma centre for the region.
The ambulance service use a triage protocol to help them decide whether to take the patient to the nearest hospital or bring them to the major trauma centre.
Network members include:
- Dorset County Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- Hampshire and Isle of Wight Air Ambulance
- Hampshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- Isle of Wight NHS Trust
- Poole Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- Portsmouth Hospitals NHS Trust
- Salisbury NHS Foundation Trust
- South Central Ambulance Service NHS Trust
- South Western Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust
- The Royal Bournemouth and Christchurch Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust