Mr Matthew Hayes
Mr Hayes is a urology surgeon with a sub-specialty interest in urological cancer.
BM, DM, FRCS (Eng), FRCS (Urol)
Training and education
- General urological surgical training in Bristol and Wessex
- Fellowship in urological cancer surgery - Royal Marsden Hospital, London, 2001 to 2002
Mr Hayes has worked for the Trust since August 2002 as a consultant urological surgeon. He is also an honorary senior lecturer in the School of Medicine, University of Southampton.
Mr Hayes was appointed in 2002 to further develop sub-specialisation in urological cancer surgery in Southampton. He provides services in bladder, kidney and testis cancer, and collaborates in a regional retroperitoneal cancer service.
- Clinical lead of the Wessex Cancer Alliance and clinical director of the cancer network. Mr Hayes has been instrumental in the development and implementation of the cancer strategy across the south of England.
- Council member of the Wessex Clinical Senate.
- Regional specialty professional advisor (Wessex and Thames Valley) to the British Association of Urological Surgeons and the Royal College of Surgeons of England (2017-19).
- Published the first detailed description of the quality of major testicular cancer surgery (retroperitoneal lymph node dissection – RPLND) from UK cancer centres in 2017, the first such national series in the world.
- Acting as a facilitator within UHS for the consultant appraisal process, and as a consultant mentor for newly appointed colleagues across specialties.
- Contemporary retroperitoneal lymph node dissection (RPLND) for testis cancer in the UK - a national study. Wells H, Hayes MC, O'Brien T, Fowler S.BJU Int. 2017 Jan;119(1):91-99.
- Excision versus ablation in renal cancer: optimising outcome and minimising risk. Hayes MC, Breen DJ.Eur Urol. 2016 Apr;69(4):683-4.
- Health related quality of life (HRQoL) after cystectomy: comparison between orthotopic neobladder and ileal conduit diversion. Ali AS, Hayes MC, Birch B, Dudderidge T, Somani BK.Eur J Surg Oncol. 2015 Mar;41(3):295-9.
- Percutaneous cryoablation of renal tumours: outcomes from 171 tumours in 147 patients. Breen DJ, Bryant TJ, Abbas A, Shepherd B, McGill N, Anderson JA, Lockyer RC, Hayes MC, George SL.BJU Int. 2013 Oct;112(6):758-65.
- The clinical features and management of testicular germ cell tumours in patients aged 60 years and older. Wheater MJ, Manners J, Nolan L, Simmonds PD, Hayes MC, Mead GM.BJU Int. 2011 Dec;108(11):1794-9.