Professor Peter Johnson
Prof Johnson is a medical oncologist with a sub-specialty interest in haemato-oncology.
CBE MD FRCP FMedSci
Training and education
- Cambridge University and St Thomas' medical school
- ICRF clinical research fellow and registrar in medical oncology - St Bartholomew's Hospital, London
- ICRF senior lecturer in medical oncology - St James' University Hospital, Leeds
Prof Johnson has worked for the Trust since August 1998.
He gained accreditation in medical oncology in 1994, and has extensive experience in the management of malignant lymphoma, including high dose therapy and stem cell transplantation.
- Chief investigator in multiple trials in lymphoma and immunotherapy
- National Clinical Director for Cancer at NHSE England
- Chief clinician at Cancer Research UK - 2008 to 2017
Awards and prizes
Prof Johnson was appointed CBE for services to cancer research in 2016. He was made a fellow of the Association of Cancer Physicians in 2017.
Over 300 publications on immunotherapy for cancer and the treatment of lymphoma, including:
- Younes A, Dogan A, Johnson P, Yahalom J, LaCasce A, Ansell S. Hodgkin Lymphoma in De Vita, Hellman and Rosenberg (eds) The Principles & Practice of Oncology, 12th Edition, Walters Kluwer, Philadelphia 2022.
- Hutchings M, Mous R, Clausen MR, Johnson P, et al. Dose escalation of subcutaneous epcoritamab in patients with relapsed or refractory B-cell non-Hodgkin lymphoma: an open-label, phase 1/2 study. Lancet. 2021;398(10306):1157-1169
- Cummin TEC, Cragg MS, Friedberg JW, Johnson PWM. Targeted therapeutics for lymphoma: using biology to inform treatment in Aggressive Lymphomas, Lenz G and Salles G (editors) Springer International, Berlin 2019.
Further details of Professor Johnson's research and a full list of publications is available at the University of Southampton website.