Professor Syed Hasan Arshad
MBBS, DM, FRCP
Training and education
Having graduated in medicine from the University of Karachi, Prof Arshad trained in general medicine and respiratory medicine in the UK. He gained his Doctor of Medicine from the University of Southampton, and completed a post-doc fellowship at the Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore. He was appointed to his current position in Southampton in 2007.
He leads allergy research in Southampton and on the Isle of Wight, as director of The David Hide Asthma and Allergy Research Centre. Professor Arshad has a background in pulmonology and allergy. Although he provides a comprehensive allergy service, his specific clinical interests are in asthma and food allergy. He has co-authored US and European guidelines for food allergy management. He is also chief investigator of the Natasha trial, a large multicentre clinical study in food allergy to test oral immunotherapy.
He has developed a number of collaborations with the UK, European and US universities as well as pharma industry to develop a programme of research investigating genetic and environmental risk factors for asthma and allergic diseases using longitudinal birth cohorts.
You can find out more about Professor Arshad's research work and interests on the University of Southampton website.
Professor Arshad has a number of local, regional and national responsibilities, including:
- Training programme director for allergy and immunology, Wessex deanery.
- Member of the Specialist Advisory Committee of Royal College of Physicians Training Board.
- Member, representing South of England on national Clinical Reference Group for Allergy and Immunology.
- Member and local lead, South West Allergy & Immunology Network
- Council member and chair of Adult Allergy Group British Society of Allergy and Clinical Immunology.
- Member of the steering committee and assessor for “Improvement in Quality of Allergy Services”, Royal College of Physicians.
- Trustee, Asthma, Allergy and Inflammation Research charity, Southampton.
- Trustee, Allergy UK.
- Lead for undergraduate allergy teaching/SSU in allergy at Southampton medical school.
- Lead for the food allergy module of MSc in Allergy at University of Southampton.
Awards and prizes
- Awarded 'Pfizer Visiting Professor in Allergy' to the University of Michigan, East Lancing, USA, in 2004.
- Outstanding clinical abstract, British Society of Allergy and Clinical Immunology annual meeting, 1992.