Alderton, Dr Mark
MBBS, BSc (hons), MRCPCH
General paediatrics, paediatric allergy and medical education
Training and education
- BSc (medical science with neuroscience) - Imperial College, University of London, 2002
- BMBS (bachelor of medicine, bachelor of surgery) - Imperial College, University of London, 2004
- Member of the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health - 2009
Dr Alderton joined the Trust as a consultant paediatrician in 2014. He trained in a number of paediatric units in the south of England, including the paediatric and neonatal intensive care units at the Evelina London Children's Hospital. He's also worked in New Zealand and Australia.
As a general paediatrician, Dr Alderton is involved in the assessment, investigation and management of children and young people with acute or chronic conditions. He also sees urgent referrals in the general paediatric rapid access clinic, which aims to see patients within two weeks.
As well as his general paediatric clinic, Dr Alderton runs a clinic for the assessment and management of food allergies as part of a multidisciplinary team. In this role, he joins the specialist allergy team in multidisciplinary meetings to discuss cases and organise food challenges (tests where patients are given a food they may be allergic to and monitored to see if this is the case). He also leads a separate paediatric food allergy clinic that's run by dietitians.
Dr Alderton has an interest in medical education, and is joint lead for the final year medical students that come to Southampton Children’s Hospital as part of their medical training.
- Lead and developed a weekly morbidity and mortality review group for Southampton Children's Hospital.
- Helped to develop secondary level allergy care in Southampton Children’s Hospital.
You can contact Dr Alderton via his secretary Ami Kennett - call 023 8120 4310 or send an email.