Cathie, Dr Katrina
BM (hons), MRCPCH, MD
General paediatrics and paediatric research
Training and education
- Bachelor of medicine with honours - University of Southampton, 2003
- Member of the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health (RCPCH) - 2006
- Doctor of medicine (MD) - University of Southampton, 2017
Dr Cathie qualified as a doctor in 2003 and trained in paediatrics in the Wessex region from 2004. She's worked here at University Hospital Southampton since she completed her training in 2015.
Dr Cathie joined the Trust as a locum consultant in 2015 before taking on a substantive consultant post in 2016.
In her work as part of the general paediatric team, Dr Cathie is involved in the assessment, investigation and management of acute and chronic conditions affecting children and young people. This may be on the children’s assessment unit, on the ward or in the outpatient department, depending on the situation.
Dr Cathie has an interest and active role in paediatric research. She's the principal investigator for a number of research studies involving children and young people at UHS.
Dr Cathie is a APLS (advanced paediatric life support) instructor and has played an active role in simulation training at UHS. She's a RCPCH adviser for students who are doing their training on a less than full time basis in Wessex, and also sits on the Wessex paediatric school board. She's actively involved in the Paediatric Innovation, Education and Research (PIER) network and organises their annual conference.
- Successfully completing an MD while doing clinical paediatric training.
- Being the principal investigator on a chickenpox vaccine study in 2016. UHS was the top recruiting site in the UK for this study.
- Organising the 2016 regional multi-professional PIER conference, which had very good feedback and excellent attendance.
Awards and prizes
- Best audit/presentation at the UHS clinical effectiveness conference - 2008
- Best oral presentation at the University of Southampton's faculty of medicine conference - 2013
- Best trainee presentation at the Wessex paediatric winter meeting - 2013
Dr Cathie is the vice-chair of the newly established GAPRUKI (general and adolescent paediatric research in the UK and Ireland) network. She's also interim chair of the NIHR paediatric theme clinical studies group for general paediatrics.
Dr Cathie's research focuses on common conditions that affect children and young people in the general paediatric setting.
You can contact Dr Cathie via her secretary, Ami Kennett - call 023 8120 4310 or send an email.