Arshad, Professor Syed Hasan
MBBS, DM, FRCP
General and respiratory medicine
Training and education
Having graduated in medicine from the University of Karachi, Prof Arshad trained in general medicine and respiratory medicine in the UK. He gained his Doctor of Medicine from the University of Southampton, and completed a post-doc fellowship at the Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore. He was appointed to his current position in Southampton in 2007.
Professor Arshad is head of the asthma, allergy and clinical immunology service at UHS, and professor of allergy and clinical immunology at the University of Southampton. He leads allergy research in Southampton and on the Isle of Wight, as is director of The David Hide Asthma and Allergy Research Centre on the Isle of Wight.
One of Prof Arshad's main research interests is prevention of asthma and allergy, and he has co-authored European guidelines for primary prevention of allergy. Although he provides a comprehensive allergy service, his specific clinical interest is in food allergy, and he has co-authored US guidelines for allergy food management.
You can find out more about Professor Arshad's research work and interests on the University of Southampton website.
Professor Arshad has a number of local, regional and national responsibilities, including:
- Training programme director for allergy and immunology, Wessex deanery.
- Member of the Specialist Advisory Committee of Royal College of Physicians Training Board.
- Member, representing South of England on national Clinical Reference Group for Allergy and Immunology.
- Member and local lead, South West Allergy & Immunology Network
- Council member and chair of Adult Allergy Group British Society of Allergy and Clinical Immunology.
- Member of the steering committee and assessor for “Improvement in Quality of Allergy Services”, Royal College of Physicians.
- Trustee, Asthma, Allergy and Inflammation Research charity, Southampton.
- Trustee, Allergy UK.
- Lead for undergraduate allergy teaching/SSU in allergy at Southampton medical school.
- Lead for the food allergy module of MSc in Allergy at University of Southampton.
Awards and prizes
- Awarded 'Pfizer Visiting Professor in Allergy' to the University of Michigan, East Lancing, USA, in 2004.
- Outstanding clinical abstract, British Society of Allergy and Clinical Immunology annual meeting, 1992.
A list of Professor Arshad's research publications is available on the University of Southampton website.