Eren, Dr Efrem
MBBS, MRCP, FRCPath, PhD
Training and education
- MBBS, Royal Free Hospital London, 1993.
- BSc (Immunology), London University, 1990.
- MRCP, 2001.
- PhD Immunology at Imperial College London, 2006.
- MRCPath, 2007.
- Clinical immunology specialist training at the Royal Free Hospital, Chelsea and Westminster and Hammersmith hospitals (Imperial College Healthcare).
- Allergy training at The Royal Throat Nose and Ear and St Mary’s Hospitals, London 2002 to 2007.
Dr Eren has worked for the Trust since September 2007.
Through his role as a clinical immunologist, Dr Eren's experience and expertise covers the assessment and management of patients with both primary and secondary immune deficiency disorders. As an allergist, his experience covers the investigation and management of a broad range of allergic disorders, including hay fever, food allergy, urticaria and angioedema and drug allergy.
Dr Eren also works with the immunology laboratory, giving advice regarding appropriate testing for immunological, allergic and rheumatological diseases and result interpretation.
- Setting up an adult immunology service with dedicated regular outpatient clinics in Southampton and a satellite clinic in Bournemouth.
- Expanding the allergy services by developing a dedicated drug allergy testing service, with a particular focus in anaesthetic associated anaphylaxis.
Awards and prizes
- Hoechst Hoechst Elective Award (1st prize).
- Esther Francis White Memorial Prize (for distinction in final MBBS).
- Immunopathology BSc Prize (1st class honours).
- H.A.B. Simons Prize for BSc. Project.
- MRC Award for Intercalated BSc.
- Royal Society for Medicine President’s Prize (1st).
- Shrimpton, R. E., M. Butler, Eren E et al. (2009). "CD205 (DEC-205): A recognition receptor for apoptotic and necrotic self." Mol Immunol.
- Wehr, C., T. Kivioja, Eren E et al. (2008). "The EUROclass trial: defining subgroups in common variable immunodeficiency." Blood 111(1): 77-85.
- Chua, I., R. Standish, Eren E et al. (2007). "Anti-tumour necrosis factor-alpha therapy for severe enteropathy in patients with common variable immunodeficiency (CVID)." Clin Exp Immunol 150(2): 306-11.
- Eren, E., J. Yates, et al. (2006). "Location of major histocompatibility complex class II molecules in rafts on dendritic cells enhances the efficiency of T-cell activation and proliferation." Scand J Immunol 63(1): 7-16.
- Lear, S., E. Eren, et al. (2006). "Meningococcal meningitis in two patients with primary antibody deficiency treated with replacement intravenous immunoglobulin." J Clin Pathol 59(11): 1191-3.