Williams, Dr Anthony Peter
MBBS, BSc, MSc, MRCP, FRCPath, PhD
Allergy and clinical immunology
Training and education
- Undergraduate training at University College London, 1992
- Postgraduate general medical training in Cardiff
- Specialist allergy and immunology training in Oxford and Southampton.
- PhD studies in Oxford.
- Wellcome Trust PhD fellowship in molecular immunology at the Weatherall Institute of Molecular Medicine, Oxford, 1999 to 2002.
- Wellcome Trust clinician scientist, 2002 to 2006.
Dr Williams joined the Trust as a consultant clinical immunologist in 2003, and was appointed as a senior lecturer in clinical immunology and allergy in 2006. He's also the clinical lead for laboratory immunology.
Dr Williams has expertise in the investigation and management of adults with a range of allergic disorders including anaphylaxis, latex allergy, venoms, urticaria and angioedema, immunotherapy and drug allergy. He also investigates and manages adults and children (jointly with paediatricians) with recurrent infections and unusual immune disorders.
His clinical and research interests are in recurrent infections, allergen immunotherapy, anaphylaxis and developments in laboratory diagnostics for immunologically-mediated diseases.
Dr Williams is actively involved in the University of Southampton MSc allergy programme. He's also a member of the British Society of Allergy and Clinical Immunology (BSACI) and the UK Primary Immunodeficiency Network (UKPIN).
Being regional lead for clinical immunology for the Royal College of Physicians (RCP) and the Royal College of Pathology (RCPath).
Awards and prizes
Nationally competitive Welcome Trust clinical fellowships from 1999 to 2006.