Osman-Hicks, Dr Victoria
MSc, MBChB (Hons), MRCPsych, PGcertHE, PGCert
Older people's mental health
Training and education
Dr Osman-Hicks qualified at the University of Liverpool in 2006. Following completion of training in 2014, she joined the specialist register for old age psychiatry.
She has completed additional postgraduate qualifications in teaching and leadership, management and quality improvement in health care. She's also completed a fellowship in quality improvement with the Wessex Deanery, and has expertise in quality improvement methodology.
Dr Osman-Hicks is a substantive consultant in older people's mental health who joined the Trust in April 2017. She's also an honorary senior lecturer and undergraduate tutor in psychiatry at the University of Southampton.
She provides clinical leadership in the older people’s mental health team, which works across the whole of the Trust. The team cares for inpatients who have come to hospital with medical or surgical problems, but also have dementia or a significant mental health condition. While they see patients of any age who have dementia, they specialise in patients with mental health conditions who are over the age of 65.
Dr Osman-Hicks also provides clinical leadership in ward G7, an enhanced dementia care ward that’s part of medicine for older people. She works collaboratively with the ward team and the geriatricians to look after patients with complex needs like dementia and delirium.
Her particular clinical interests are currently in dementia care and quality improvement/service development in dementia and related areas.
Dr Osman-Hicks is a clinical and educational supervisor for trainees in academic foundation year placements, and she also supervises research projects for students in their third year of a medical science degree. She has experience in teaching, co-ordinating and managing placements in the undergraduate psychiatry programme in the Southampton area. She offers taster weeks in older people’s mental health for trainees who are looking to develop their skills and experience.
- Development of ward G7, a new enhanced dementia care ward at UHS, with medicine for older people and the multidisciplinary team
- Lead tutor in psychiatry in Southampton locality (2015-2017)
- Wessex quality improvement fellow alumni following dementia service development project at UHS in the surgical directorate
Awards and prizes
- Nominated for Royal College of Psychiatrists' Trainer Award by a foundation year doctor, 2016
- Honorary senior lecturer in psychiatry, 2016
- Liaison psychiatry poster prize 2014 - 'Improving dementia awareness in the surgical directorate'
Dr Osman-Hicks' research interests include:
- service improvement in dementia care
- treatment resistant depression in older people
- postgraduate education in psychiatry.
You can contact Dr Osman-Hicks via the administration team in the department of psychological medicine - call 023 8120 4529.