Sparkes, Dr Jonathan
BM (2000) FRCP
Medicine for older people
- Community geriatrics
- Complex Parkinson's disease
Training and education
- BM, Southampton, 2000.
- MRCP, London, 2004.
- Postgraduate certificate in palliative care, Cardiff, 2008.
- Postgraduate certificate in gerontology, King’s College London, 2010.
- FRCP, London, 2014.
Dr Sparkes joined the Trust as a consultant in medicine for older people in March 2010. He provides acute inpatient care for older people from the east side of Southampton coupled with community based care in the same locality.
Working closely with community health teams, he provides intermediate care and liaises with primary care. He is also a governance lead for medicine for older people and falls lead at the Trust.
Furthermore, Dr Sparkes has an honorary contract with Solent NHS Trust, working in the community in Southampton City.
- Service improvement around locality based working and integrating hospital and community services.
- Developing a home based service for people with advanced complex Parkinson’s disease.
- Delivering key national audits for the Trust and Solent, improving mortality and morbidity meetings within medicine for older people and leading on implementing a revised inpatient falls policy.
Dr Sparkes's research interests include acceptability of grip strength testing in different clinical settings.
Dr Sparkes can be contacted via his secretary on 023 8120 2039 or email Conor.O'Neill@uhs.nhs.uk.