Cutress, Professor Ramsey
BM BCh BA PhD FRCS (Ed) FRCS (Gen Surg)
Training and education
- BA, Oxford University
- BM BCh, Oxford University
- PhD, University of Southampton
- FRCS, Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- FRCS(Gen Surg), Intercollegiate Board
- CCT(Gen Surg), PMETB
Professor Ramsey Cutress has worked as a consultant breast surgeon for the Trust since March 2009. Prior to this he trained on the Wessex general surgery specialist registrar programme, and won a national breast reconstructive and oncoplastic fellowship.
Since 2014, Prof Cutress has been chair of the Trust's breast multidisciplinary team (MDT) and clinical lead for breast surgery. On a national level, he is the Association for Breast Surgery (ABS) academic and research committee, and a member of the education and training committee.
He is course director for the ABS advanced skills in breast disease management course. In 2018, he was was appointed professor of breast surgery by the University of Southampton.
- Development of breast reconstructive and oncoplastic services in Southampton, including dedicated reconstructive clinics and breast reconstructive surgery.
- Development of intra-operative sentinel node analysis in Southampton.
- Member of writing group for the Association of Breast Surgeons (ABS) - National Oncoplastic and Breast Reconstruction Guidelines, second edition.
Awards and prizes
- British Association for Cancer Research Hamilton Fairley prize
- University of Southampton graduate conference prize
- University of Oxford Radcliffe Infirmary prize for surgery
- Jesus College Oxford – two prizes for examination performance
- Alan Edwards prize from the British Association of Surgical Oncology
Prof Cutress has produced over 70 peer reviewed publications.
He has carried out research on clinical aspects of breast cancer, breast cancer molecular biology, translational research and clinical trials.
For further details of Prof Cutress's research activities please see his University of Southampton profile.