Leadership and management
We deliver a variety of management, leadership and interpersonal skills courses for all levels of staff below board level, tailored to ensure that everybody receives the appropriate level of information and support.
Browse the VLE or contact us to discuss your requirements. We provide classroom-based, group and one-to-one sessions as well as specialist services such as facilitating the use of psychometric tools.
Types of training offered
Classroom-based training is convenient and cost-effective. Courses include a combination of theoretical delivery and practical exercises, to involve everyone and provide the opportunity to practice new skills. This also helps to reduce the feeling of one-size fits all and tick-box attendance.
Courses are generally delivered in the training rooms at Southampton General Hospital, but can be delivered at other Trust sites or off-site locations as required.
Our management training courses are delivered in partnership with Solent University, and are held off-site. Once the course is completed, a transferable accredited qualification can be gained (at the relevant level).
Group training sessions can be run in-house or off-site and may include outdoor activity at locations such as Fairthorne Manor or 'The Forest Experience' run by Activate Outdoors near Lyndhurst.
Being off-site brings the benefit of a protected environment away from the workplace and helps break down perceived barriers, such as around uniform or status. The outdoor locations are particularly good for this, and allow participants to gain a new perspective of their team members and to investigate personal limitations.
- team building, bonding and problem solving
- team dynamics and diagnostics using psychometric tools
- implementing and managing change.
Contact us to discuss how we can help improve your team's performance.
We can provide individual or small group training or coaching sessions in response to management requests, on topics including communication skills and stress management. For more information, please contact us.
Psychometric tools use questionnaires based on different models of the normal range of human behaviour. Individuals fill in a questionnaire to give an indication of their personality traits or preferred behaviours.
These tools can be used
- to help an individual to understand and be more insightful about their own traits and behaviours and to plan how to use that increased self-awareness in their personal development.
- as part of a team development exercise, to form the basis of discussion about how team members work together or how decisions get made
- as part of the selection process when appointing new staff
- as part of career management, for example coaching.
Three psychometric and behaviour analysis tools are available for use with individuals or teams:
- The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) - 16 distinctive personality types are identified and you will see how closely your profile fits to one or more of these types.
- Belbin self-perception inventory or team role inventory - this assesses how an individual behaves in a team environment.
- Thomas International - this tool creates an individual profile in four dimensions of behaviour, with a report providing an overview of the individual’s behaviour preferences at work and the impact these preferences have on work colleagues.
Our staff are trained practitioners in using pyschometric tools, and are skilled at feeding back the findings to individuals or facilitating a team discussion.
Feedback about psychometric tools
“Really interesting, gave me great insight into the difference between personality preferences and gave some ideas for improving working relationships” (Participant on the intermediate management course)
“The more I understand how different people are, the more it helps me to manage difficult situations” (participant on the duty senior management development programme)
“I’m much more comfortable with me, now - not complacent - just I understand me better” (Individual seeking support in management role)