Clinical skills facilities and technician services
The facilities clinical skills can offer include:
Clinical skills rooms
- nine 25 seat clinical skills training rooms, with the latest AV teaching aids and sinks in each room
- a simulation suite complete with AV monitoring and feedback facilities
- a large seminar room for up 45 people
- a large multi-purpose seminar or skills room along with an annex laid out as a practice ward training area (holds up to 95 people lecture style).
All training rooms have internet and UHS intranet access, and teaching aids including data projection, video and DVD playback and interactive whiteboards. Two rooms have University of Southampton internet access and internal and external video conferencing access.
We have models relating to areas including:
- advanced cannulation
- emergency medicine
- minor surgery
Our mannequins include
- pelvic trainers for cervical smears
- babies with clicky hips
- male and female catheterisation models
- venepuncture arms
- otoscopic and ophthalmoscopic heads
- Resusci-Anne and Resusci-baby
- buttocks and thighs for intra-muscular injections
- breast examination
- SimMan - a whole body programmable patient simulator (more information below).
A set of training CD ROMs and a computer are also available to enable students to learn about various cardiac conditions and to test their knowledge. These take a student step by step through each condition, from history and examination through to which investigations to order.
SimMan is a computer controlled patient simulator that will add realism and depth to any clinical training session. Manufactured by Laerdal Medical Ltd, clinical skills have a dedicated SimMan project co-ordinator who will be pleased to work with you designing comprehensive and realistic training scenarios.
SimMan can be used to:
- teach a wide range of new clinical skills
- reinforce and consolidate existing learning
- re-visit patient case histories
Read more on the simulation suite page.
Clinical skills technicians
Our clinical skills technicians can help you to deliver high quality training to your staff. They work 8am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.
Their role includes preparing teaching rooms, maintaining and cleaning equipment, assisting with audio visual equipment, and technical support for anatomical teaching aids.
Please try to give adequate notice if you need your teaching room set up in a particular way, or need to use or borrow equipment from clinical skills.
Contact our technicians on 023 8120 4026.