Our 25-bed general intensive care unit at Southampton General Hospital is split into two sections:
- area A has 14 beds including four separate side rooms
- area B has 11 beds including six separate side rooms.
The two areas are light and bright, and each has a central nurses' station.
Facilities for relatives and visitors
We have a waiting room for visitors, as well as quiet rooms where relatives can sit by themselves or when speaking to staff.
If you're a relative wishing to stay on-site overnight, we may be able to offer accommodation at Meller House. Please speak to the bedside nurse or nurse in charge to find out more.
Our unit has advanced monitoring and medical equipment to care for critically ill patients 24 hours a day. This includes
- sophisticated ventilators
- 'Lidco' cardiac monitoring machines
- dialysis and haemofiltration machines.