Delivering commercial research
Southampton is committed to better healthcare, faster, through working with industry.
We offer access to world-class investigators across clinical disciplines, dedicated clinical trials infrastructure and consistently high patient involvement from a population of over 3 million.
Your clinical trials partner
Southampton gives access to world-class investigators across clinical disciplines, dedicated clinical trials infrastructure and the second highest patient recruitment figures in the UK from a catchment of over 3 million.
Email the commercial research team or telephone 023 8120 4862.
Partnering with us gives you:
- Rapid trial feasibility, start up and completion
- Access to world-class investigators across our university and acute teaching trust
- The second highest recruitment rate to clinical trials in the UK
- Integrated early phase clinical research facilities
Across disciplines, across phases
We deliver trials at every phase, supporting investigators with central trial and contract management, dedicated research facilities, 170 research nurses and direct access to hospital services.
Research active across many therapeutic areas, we have key strengths in:
- Cardiovascular – Interventional studies, implants, remote monitoring and imaging technologies
- Critical care – Intervention development and outcome assessment
- Gastrointestinal – IBD, ulcerative colitis, Crohn’s disease, biologics and supplements
- Infection - Adult and paediatric vaccine trials, anti-infectives and trialling of new diagnostic technologies
- Oncology – Many cancer types, with a centre of excellence for lymphoma and leukaemia,
- Ophthalmology – Age-related macular degeneration, glaucoma, diabetic retinopathy, interventional retina studies and paediatric studies
- Nutrition – Nutritional care, probiotics, supplements and metabolic therapeutics
- Respiratory – Asthma, COPD, cystic fibrosis, allergies and acute lung injury
- Rheumatology – Rheumatoid arthritis, SLE, psoriatic arthritis, osteoarthritis and osteoporosis
- Trauma & Orthopaedics – Arthroplasty, revision, hand surgery and trauma care
Phase I and II trials
Delivering over 250 phase I/II and complex phase III trials at any one time, the NIHR/Wellcome Trust Southampton Clinical Research Facility fully integrates 2000m2 of MHRA-inspected trial infrastructure into our acute teaching hospital trust. Combined with excellent patient facilities this makes it a safe, comfortable and reassuring place to be for trial participants.
Highly trained research nurses working in teams, on-call research fellows plus quality-assured laboratory resources ensure efficient and safe trial management, timely delivery and complete confidence in results.
Later phase trials
We have research-active clinicians and research nurse teams across our hospital services, backed by a dedicated R&D department providing governance support, administration and facilitating adoption of trials to the NIHR portfolio. The University of Southampton Clinical Trials Unit provides design and delivery expertise for large, multi-centre studies, specialising in cancer.