Governance and management
Southampton’s university-hospital partnership has strong governance structures for strategic development, efficient delivery and oversight of research.
Paula Head, chief executive of University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust, and Prof Diana Eccles, Dean of Medicine at the University of Southampton, head the partnership.
Together with our research directors they drive development of Southampton’s clinical research programmes and capacity.
Joint Research Strategy Board
This board sets strategic direction and oversees major developments, reporting to university and hospital executive boards. Principal members:
- Paula Head, chief executive of University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust (UHS) - joint chair of the board
- Prof Diana Eccles, dean of the Faculty of Medicine at the University of Southampton (UoS) - joint chair of the board
- Prof Mandy Fader, dean of the Faculty of Health Sciences at the University of Southampton
- Prof Peter Smith, director of the Institute for Life Sciences at the University of Southampton
- Prof Tim Elliott, associate medical dean for research for UoS
- Christine McGrath, UHS director of Research and Development
- Prof Saul Faust, director of the NIHR Southampton Clinical Research Facility and UHS associate director of Research and Development
- Prof Robert Read, director of the NIHR Southampton Biomedical Research Centre
- Prof Ratko Djukanovic, director of the Southampton Centre for Biomedical Research and theme lead for respiratory and critical care research
- Prof Keith Godfrey, theme lead for nutrition research
- Prof Peter Johnson, director of the CRUK Southampton Centre
- Prof Cyrus Cooper, director of the Medical Research Council Lifecourse Epidemiology Unit
Our NIHR funded infrastructure
We coordinate the people and resources of our major early-stage research facilities, units and centres including our £27m of NIHR funded infrastructure:
By coordinating resources and activity across our major research, this group helps ensure efficient sharing and development of common facilities, teams and processes. It also brings senior management from its constituent members in a single group that reports to the strategy board.