Marigold, Dr Richard
MB BS BSc FRCP (UK)
Hyperacute stroke, secondary prevention, stroke training and education
Training and education
- MB BS - Guy’s and St Thomas’s Hospital medical school
- BSc physiological sciences - University of London
- Postgraduate training in London, Oxford and Wessex
- Geriatric and stroke medicine training in Wessex region
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians
- Advanced stroke training fellowship at University Hospital Southampton and the Royal Bournemouth Hospital
Dr Marigold joined the Trust as a consultant in stroke medicine in August 2014.
He has ten years of training in general, geriatric and stroke medicine.
Dr Marigold's responsibilities here at UHS include:
- hyperacute stroke care including emergency admissions, thrombolysis (using medicine to break down blood clots) and participation in intra-arterial thrombectomy (a surgical procedure to remove blood clots from an artery) in patients from around the Wessex region
- inpatient stroke rehabilitation and stroke unit multidisciplinary care
- weekly neurovascular clinics for patients with TIA (transient ischemic attack - a temporary block or reduction of blood flow to the brain).
- monthly stroke outpatient clinics.
- Chair of the trainees committee, British Association of Stroke Physicians
- Departmental lead for education and setting up stroke simulation training both at UHS and within the region
- Former member of the question writing group and exam board for the specialist certificate exam in geriatric medicine, Royal College of Physicians
- MRCP PACES examiner
Awards and prizes
Guy’s and St Thomas’s Hospital Special Trustees Award
Dr Marigold is an active co-investigator in a number of recruiting clinical trials.
- Alteplase-Tenecteplase Trial Evaluation for Stroke Thrombolysis (ATTEST 2)
- Start or STop Anticoagulants Randomised Trial (SoSTART)
- Rates, risks and routes to reduce vascular dementia, (R4VaD)
- LACunar Intervention (LACI-2) Trial-2: Assessment of safety and efficacy of cilostazol and isosorbide mononitrate to prevent recurrent lacunar stroke and progression of cerebral small vessel disease
- Effects of fluoxetine on functional outcomes after acute stroke (FOCUS): a pragmatic, double-blind, randomised, controlled trial.
- DNA Lacunar Study 2
- Tranexamic acid for intracerebral haemorrhage 2 (TICH2)
- Platelet - Orientated Inhibition in New TIA and minor ischemic stroke (POINT)
- Marigold JRG, Weir NU, Crawford PJ, Evans SR, Battersby Wood EJ, Lovett JK, MacDonald JHM, Millar JS, Williams AJ Ditchfield A, Mechanical Thrombectomy. The Wessex Model – reflections and future challenges International Journal of Stroke 2018, Vol. 13(3S) 10–65
- Mehdi Z, Cardoso I, Marigold JRG Regional Stroke Simulation Training for General Internal Medicine Registrars and Stroke Nurse Practitioners to Improve delivery of Thrombolysis and Thrombectomy International Journal of Stroke 2018, Vol. 13(3S) 10–65
- Pryce G, Price E, Sanders C, Fox F, Stark R, Murray K, Gibney S, Hyam S, Finan E, Marigold R. Outcome of an educational programme and stroke multidisciplinary competency training on SSNAP performance and quality of stroke unit care International Journal of Stroke 2018, Vol. 13(3S) 10–65
- Marigold JRG, Weir NU, Crawford PJ, Evans SR, Battersby-Wood EJ, Lovett JK, Colchester NT, Morris RJ, Slaght SJ Impact of an 8am-8pm 7 day a week consultant led stroke service on CT scanning, thrombolysis times, and length of stay in a tertiary neurosciences centre International Journal of Stroke 2017 Vol 12, Suppl 5: 54
- Sanders C, Rafael S, Fox F, Ferreira M, Ashman G, Silva L,, Wooding D, Bailey, T, Smith, T, Marques, J, Sage W, Marigold JR Impact of an advanced stroke nurse practitioner training programme to request acute CT head scans on acute admission to scan times International Journal of Stroke 2017 Vol 12, Suppl 5: 55
- Oral anticoagulation after intracranial haemorrhage: A survey of UK stroke physicians International Journal of Stroke 2015 Vol 10 28 – 29
- Marigold R, Gunther A, Tiwari D, Kwan J Antiepileptic drugs for the primary and secondary prevention of subarachnoid haemorrhage. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 2013.
- Marigold JRG, Arias M, Vassallo M, Allen SC. Autonomic dysfunction in older people. Reviews in Clinical Gerontology, 2010.
- Marigold JRG, Hill ID, Shaw TJ, Kwan JSK. Pulmonary Rehabilitation in Octogenarians. Age Ageing (2009) 38:ii90-ii98
- Baylis D, Marigold JRG, Adams J Department of Medicine for Older People. What’s in a name? Age Ageing (2010) 39,s2:ii1-ii101
- Kwan J, Marigold R, South A, Hennessy N. Pre-hospital screening of stroke patients for thrombolysis reduces delay to CT scanning and treatment. International Journal of Stroke Vol 5, S3, 2010, 14–17
You can contact Dr Marigold via his secretary, Tracy Aspin, on 023 8120 5019.