Patel, Dr Mayank
BM DM FRCP
Training and education
Dr Patel graduated from the University of Southampton school of medicine in 1995.
Dr Patel has worked for University Hospital Southampton as a consultant since December 2008.
He completed a senior house officer rotation in general internal medicine at Southampton General Hospital, before being appointed as clinical research fellow at the Medical Research Council Environmental Epidemiology Research Unit, in Southampton. This was followed by a specialist registrar post in diabetes, endocrinology and general internal medicine at Southampton, Bath, and Salisbury hospitals.
Here at UHS, his responsibilities include reviewing people with diabetes who are admitted to hospital. He also sees patients in clinic who have type one diabetes and use insulin pumps or have diabetes-related foot disease or kidney problems.
Dr Patel has a keen interest in diabetes education and regularly teaches patients, patient groups, healthcare professionals and the wider public at health events.
- Co-created ‘Type 1: Attack of the Ketones’, second free to download comic book aimed at educating about type 1 diabetes, released 2018
- Delivered named education lecture at Diabetes UK's annual professional conference - 2018
- Accepted as a fellow of the Royal College of Physicians – awarded 2017
- Co-created ‘T1: Origins’, a free to download comic book about a young man who develops type 1 diabetes, released October 2016 (finalist for Royal College of Physicians' Excellence in Patient Care Awards, 2018)
- Wrote clinical content for MicroGuide ‘DiAppBetes’, a free for use, internationally available smartphone application for healthcare professionals and students managing people with diabetes, launched July 2016
- Higher degree - doctor of medicine (DM) awarded June 2006 for research into ‘The Role of the Growth Hormone/Insulin-like Growth Factor-I axis as a Determinant of Bone Mineral Density in Men’
Awards and prizes
- University Hospital Southampton Hospital Heroes 2018: presented with Chairman's Award for Leadership
- University Hospital Southampton Hospital Heroes 2016: adult diabetes team winners for ‘education and training’ category
- Wessex Shine Awards 2016: adult diabetes team commended as high performing education and training team of the year
- Honorary senior clinical lecturer title from University of Southampton for contribution to diabetes education - awarded 2015
- Quality in Care Awards for Diabetes 2015: winner of award for outstanding educator in diabetes
You can read a list of Dr Patel's publications here.