Godfrey, Professor Keith
BM (hons), MRCP, CCST, FRCP, PhD
Training and education
- BM (hons) medicine - University of Southampton, 1983
- MRCP - Royal College of Physicians of London, 1986
- CCST (certificate of completion of specialist training) - Specialist Training Authority, 1997
- FRCP - Royal College of Physicians of London, 1999
- PhD in medicine - University of Southampton, 1999
Prof Godfrey has worked for the Trust since May 1997.
His roles include:
- professor of epidemiology and human development at the MRC Lifecourse Epidemiology Unit (University of Southampton)
- nutrition theme lead at the NIHR Southampton Biomedical Research Centre
- lead investigator for Southampton Women's Survey
- director of the Centre for Developmental Origins of Health and Disease
- co-director of the NIHR Southampton Global Health Research Group.
- Prof Godfrey's research has impacted policy and been recognised by the UK government, the World Health Organisation (WHO) and the United Nations General Assembly.
- Prof Godfrey is a visiting professor at the National University of Singapore. He’s also a trustee of the International Society for the Development Origins of Health and Disease, a UK-registered charity.
Awards and prizes
- Medical Research Council training fellowship
- Association of Physicians of Great Britain and Ireland
- Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council: social innovator of the year - finalist
- Vice chancellor’s award for collegiality – LifeLab team
- NIHR senior investigator
- Vice chancellor's award for international engagement
Prof Godfrey’s research aims to prevent heart and lung disease, obesity, type-2 diabetes and allergic conditions such as atopic eczema.
Prof Godfrey is the author of over 400 refereed papers and reviews.
You can follow Prof Godfrey on Twitter @KeithMGodfrey.