Healy, Professor Eugene
BA MB BCh BAO PhD FRCP FSB
Psoriasis and skin lymphoma
Training and education
- Primary medical degree (hons), Trinity College, Dublin, 1987.
- Royal College of Physicians of Ireland, MRCPI, 1989.
- PhD, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, 1997.
- Certificate of Completion of Specialist Training, 1997.
- Medical Research Council clinical training fellowship, 1994 to 1997.
- Medical Research Council clinician scientist fellowship, 1997 to 2001.
- Medical Research Council senior clinical fellowship, 2001 to 2006.
Professor Healy has worked for University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust since June 1999.
Prof Healy practices general dermatology (including skin cancer and inflammatory skin disease), and runs a specialist service for psoriasis (including treatment with UV, systemic agents and biologics) and a specialist skin lymphoma service.
- Committee member (2001 to 2007) and chairman (2003 to 2006) of the British Society for Investigative Dermatology.
- Member (2003 to 2006) of the British Association of Dermatologists’ Executive Committee.
- Board member (2005 to 2011); president (2009 to 2010) of the European Society for Dermatological Research.
- Associate editor (2010 to 2012) for Journal of Investigative Dermatology.
- Editorial board member for Experimental Dermatology journal.
- Member of the Dermatology Specialist Advisory Committee, Joint Royal College of Physicians’ Training Board.
- Board member of European Society for Pigment Cell Research.
- Member of the British Skin Foundation Board of Trustees.
- Chairman of the British Association of Dermatologists’ Research Committee.
Awards and prizes
- Andrew Francis Dixon Prize.
- Daniel John Cunningham Memorial Medal and Prize.
- Walter Rennison Prize.
- Walter G. Smith Prize.
- British Society for Paediatric Dermatology Prize.
- British Society for Investigative Dermatology Young Investigator Fellowship.
- Fellow, Society of Biology.
- Skin cancer (susceptibility, pigmentation and immunology).
- Responses to ultraviolet radiation.
- Cutaneous immunity/inflammatory skin disease.
Selection of publications
- Kinsler, V.A., Abu-Amero, S., Budd, P., Jackson, I.J., Ring, S.M., Northstone, K., Atherton, D.J., Bulstrode, N.W., Stanier, P., Hennekam, R.C., Sebire, N.J., Moore, G.E. and Healy, E. (2012) Germline melanocortin-1-receptor genotype is associated with severity of cutaneous phenotype in congenital melanocytic nevi: a role for MC1R in human fetal development. Journal of Investigative Dermatology, 132, 2026-2032.
- Oakford, M.E., Dixon, S.V., August, S., Pickard, C., Ardern-Jones, M., Lackie, P., Friedmann, P.S. and Healy, E. (2011) Migration of immunocytes across the basement membrane in skin; the role of basement membrane pores. Journal of Investigative Dermatology, 131, (9), 1950-1953.
- Healy, E. (2010) Disorders of pigmentation. In, Warrell, David A., Cox, Timothy M. and Firth, John D. (eds.) Oxford Textbook of Medicine. 5th edition. Oxford, GB, Oxford University Press. (Oxford Textbook).
- Ersser, S.J., Cowdell , F.C., Latter, S.M. and Healy, E. (2010) Self-management experiences in adults with mild-moderate psoriasis: an exploratory study and implications for improved support. British Journal of Dermatology, 163, (5), 1044-1049.
- Pickard, C., Louafi, F., McGuire, C., Lowings, K., Kumar, P., Cooper, H., Dearman, R.J., Cumberbatch, M., Kimber, I., Healy, E. and Friedmann, P.S. (2009) The cutaneous biochemical redox barrier: a component of the innate immune defences against sensitisation by highly reactive environmental xenobiotics. Journal of Immunology, 183, 7576-7584.
- Wollenbeurg, A., Reitamo, S., Girolomoni, G., Lahfa, M., Ruzicka, T., Healy, E., Gianetti, A., Bieber, T., Vyas, J. and Deleuran, M. European Tacrolimus Ointment Study Group (2008) Proactive treatment of atopic dermatitis in adults with 0.1% tacrolimus ointment. Allergy, 63, (7), 742-750.
- Pickard, C., Smith, A.M., Cooper, H., Strickland, I., Jackson, J., Healy, E. and Friedmann, P.S. (2007) Investigation of mechanisms underlying the T-cell response to the hapten 2,4-dinitrochlorobenzene. Journal of Investigative Dermatology, 127, (3), 630-637.
- Cooper, A., Robinson, S.J., Pickard, C., Jackson, C.L., Friedmann, P.S. and Healy, E. (2005) Alpha-Melanocyte-stimulating hormone suppresses antigen-induced lymphocyte proliferation in humans independently of melanocortin 1 receptor gene status. Journal of Immunology, 175, (7), 4806-4813.
- Cooper, H.L., Cook, I.S., Theaker, J.M., Mallipeddi, R., McGrath, J., Friedmann, P. and Healy, E. (2004) Expression and glycosylation of MUC1 in epidermolysis bullosa-associated and sporadic cutaneous squamous cell carcinomas. British Journal of Dermatology, 151, (3), 540-545.
- Robinson, S.J. and Healy, E. (2002) Human melanocortin 1 receptor (MC1R) gene variants alter melanoma cell growth and adhesion to extracellular matrix. Oncogene, 21, (52), 8037-8046.
- Healy, E., Flanagan, N., Ray, A., Todd, C., Jackson, I.J., Matthews, J.N.S., Birch-Machin, M.A. and Rees, J.L. (2000) Melanocortin 1 receptor gene and sun sensitivity in individuals without red hair. The Lancet, 355, (9209), 1072-1073.
- Valverde , P., Healy, E., Jackson, I., Rees, J.L. and Thody, A.J. (1995) Variants of the melanocyte stimulating hormone receptor gene are associated with red hair and fair skin in humans. Nature Genetics, 11, (3), 328-330.
- Rehman, I., Quinn, A.G., Healy, E. and Rees, J.L. (1994) High frequency of loss of heterozygosity in actinic keratoses, a usually benign disease. The Lancet, 344, (8925), 788-789.
- Attwood, S.E.A., Mealy, K., Cafferkey, Mary T., Buckley, T.F., West, A.B., Boyle, N., Healy, E. and Keane, F.B.V. (1987) Yersinia infection and acute abdominal pain. The Lancet, 329, (8532), 529-533.