Edwards, Professor Christopher
BSc, MBBS, MD, FRCP
Inflammatory rheumatic illness with interests in rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, connective tissue diseases and vasculitis.
Training and education
- Medical school, King's College School of Medicine
- House officer, King's College Hospital
- Senior house officer, Hammersmith Hospital and St George's Hospital
- Registar, Guy's and St Thomas' Hospitals
- Senior registrar, Kennedy Institute of Rheumatology and Charing Cross Hospital
- Consultant, Tan Tock Seng Hospital, Singapore
Prof Edwards joined the Trust in August 2001. A consultant rheumatologist and honorary senior lecturer at UHS, Prof Edwards is also associate director of the Wellcome Trust Clinical Research Facility in Southampton.
During his time as senior registrar and lecturer at the Kennedy Institute, Prof Edwards was involved in early trials of biological therapies for rheumatoid arthritis and completed his MD thesis at Imperial College. He spent a year in the department of rheumatology, allergy and immunology at Tan Tock Seng Hospital in Singapore, where he gained experience in the management of patients with severe SLE (systemic lupus erythematosus). Since returning to Southampton, Prof Edwards has continued an active research programme looking at the epidemiology of autoimmune rheumatic diseases, the influence of environment on the development of rheumatoid arthritis and SLE, and new therapies for these diseases.
Setting up a lupus clinic at Southampton General Hospital.
Awards and prizes
- Hospital Doctor Rheumatology Team of the Year 2005 winners
- NRAS Rheumatology Team Healthcare Champions 2006
- Medic Alert Healthcare Professional of the Year Award for Hospital Care 2007
- Outstanding Best Clinical Practice Award for biological therapy clinic, British Society of Rheumatology, 2013
The rheumatology department in Southampton takes part in a number of different research projects including new treatment for lupus, arthritis and bone disease. If you would like to take part or find out more please ask any member of our team or visit the Clinical Research in Southampton website, or the University of Southampton website. You can also find out more about the NIHR Wellcome Trust Clinical Research Facility.
Information on Prof Edwards' research and publications is available on the University of Southampton website.
You can contact Prof Edwards via the rheumatology admin team on 023 8120 8723.