Mason, Dr Alice
Training and education
- MBBS, St Bartholomew’s and the Royal London Medical School, Queen Mary, University of London, 2009
- Membership of the Royal College of Physicians (London), 2012
- Postgraduate award in clinical oncology, University of Warwick, 2014
- Rheumatology speciality certificate examination, Royal College of Physicians and British Society for Rheumatology, 2017
Dr Mason was appointed to the Trust as a consultant in 2020 having previously worked here as a registrar.
From 2009 to 2014 she completed her medical training in London and then moved to the Wessex region for specialist rheumatology training and has developed a particular interest in connective tissue diseases, including SLE and vasculitis.
Dr Mason also has an interest in medical education and is currently deputy module lead for Southampton medical school musculoskeletal year 1 module and is a co-author for the EULAR online course on rheumatic diseases.
Awards and prizes
- Lupus UK centre of excellence, 2020 (rheumatology department)
- EULAR centre of excellence, 2021 (rheumatology department)
- Mason A, Anver H, Lwin M, Holroyd C, Faust SN, Edwards CJ. Lupus, vaccinations and COVID-19: What we know now. Lupus. 2021
- Mason A, Rose E, Edwards CJ. Clinical management of Lupus patients during the COVID-19 pandemic. Lupus. 2020;29(13):1661-1672
- Locke, R; Mason A; Coles C; Lusznat RM; Masding MG. The Development of Clinical Thinking in Physicians in Training: The Educator Perspective. BMC Medical Education. 2020
- Mason A, Malik M, Edwards CJ. Optimising response to advanced therapies in rheumatoid arthritis – using prehabilitation to improve success? EMJ Rheumatology. 2020
- Mason A, Locke R, Lusznat R, Coles C, Masding M. How contextual factors affect physicians' clinical reasoning: a narrative review. Med Ed Publish 2020
- Mason A, Holmes C, Edwards CJ. Inflammation and dementia: using rheumatoid arthritis as a model to develop treatments? Autoimmunity Reviews 2018; 17 (9): 919-925
- Chan CK, Holroyd C, Mason A, Zarroug J, Edwards CJ. Are there dangers in biologic dose reduction strategies? Autoimmunity Reviews 2016; 15 (7): 742-746
- Chan CK, Mason A, Cooper C, Dennison E. Novel Advances in the Treatment of Osteoporosis. British Medical Bulletin 2016; 119 (1): 129-142