Banerjee, Dr Anindo K
Respiratory and general internal medicine
- Thoracic oncology (cancers of the chest)
- Tuberculosis (TB) and non-tuberculous mycobacterial infection (lung infections)
- Bronchoscopy, autofluorescence bronchoscopy and endobronchial ultrasound (procedures to look inside the lungs and airways)
- Complex pulmonary physiology (complex lung conditions)
- Cardiopulmonary exercise testing (measuring how well the heart and lungs function during exercise)
Training and education
- University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne
- Senior house officer rotation in Middlesbrough
- Higher specialist training - south-east Thames rotation (Guy's, King's and St Thomas Hospitals, London)
- Research at the Laboratory for Molecular Biology, Cambridge, and University College London
Dr Banerjee is a respiratory consultant who joined the Trust in 2006.
He works in respiratory and general internal medicine, and has specialist clinics for patients with thoracic cancers, TB and non-TB mycobacterial diseases (including drug-resistant diseases), and complex breathlessness (breathlessness that's caused by lots of different factors). He also has a general respiratory clinic for patients with other respiratory conditions.
Dr Banerjee performs complex bronchoscopies and biopsies (taking a sample of lung tissue) for patients whose lung or airway abnormalities are difficult to find.
He runs the diagnostic cardiopulmonary exercise testing service at UHS, and is also the clinical lead for the Trust's lung function laboratory. Regionally, he's involved in the endobronchial ultrasound service for the south.
- Examiner, Royal College of Physicians (PACES)
- Course director, Wessex MRCP part 2 course
- Co-chair, Acute Medicine Conference, Southampton
- Clinical teacher, University of Southampton
Dr Banerjee's research interests are in the early detection and treatment of lung cancer, with a focus on screening, biology and epidemiology (studying the causes and outcomes of lung cancer in different population groups).
- Banerjee, AK. Autofluorescence bronchoscopy In UpToDate, Basow DS (Ed) UpToDate, Waltham MA, 2019
- Banerjee, AK, Heiden E. Obesity and the effects on the Respiratory System. In A Practical Guide to Obesity Medicine ed Weaver JU. Elsevier, St Louis 2018
- Teng E, Bennett L, Morelli T, Banerjee AK. An unusual presentation of pulmonary embolism. BMJ Case Reports 2018; 2018:bcr-2017-22859