Wilkinson, Professor Tom
MA, MBBS, MRCP, PhD
Respiratory and general internal medicine
Airways disease - asthma, bronchiectasis, COPD
Training and education
- Medical training at Cambridge University and St Bartholomew's Hospital, London.
- PhD studies at Queen Mary and University College London.
Prof Wilkinson joined the Trust in July 2011 as an honorary consultant in respiratory medicine. He is also a reader (associate professor) in respiratory medicine at the University of Southampton.
Prof Wilkinson is a respiratory specialist with a sub-specialist interest in airways disease - asthma, bronchiectasis and COPD. He runs a large programme of research developing new vaccines to prevent respiratory infections in patients with airways diseases.
He is a specialist consultant in the difficult airways disease clinic and COPD integrated service, and has developed new patient pathways for diagnosis and community based treatment for COPD.
Prof Wilkinson also leads a five year programme of NHS innovation and service improvement in integrated respiratory care across Wessex (NIHR CLAHRC).
- Establishing the integrated COPD service in Southampton.
- Establishing respiratory services for patients in rural Ethiopia, in partnership with UHS colleagues.
- Directing Wessex-wide improvements in respiratory care.
Awards and prizes
- European Respiratory Researcher of the Year 2012.
- NHS Innovation of the Year Award 2011 for COPD services and research.
- European Respiratory Society COPD research award.
- COPD - new vaccines to prevent exacerbations.
- Asthma - influence of viral infection in the development of asthma.
- Bronchiectasis - identifying new treatment pathways for airway infection.
Further information on Prof Wilkinson's research and publications is available on the University of Southampton website.
To contact Prof Wilkinson in relation to