Fletcher, Dr Sophie
BA BM BCh MRCP PG Cert (Med Ed)
Respiratory, general and intensive care medicine
Respiratory critical care and interstitial lung disease (conditions that result in inflammation and scarring of the lungs)
Training and education
- BA medical science tripos - Queens’ College, Cambridge University, 1995
- BM BCh - Magdalen College, Oxford University, 2001
- Postgraduate training - St Thomas’ Hospital London and The Royal Brompton London, 2004
- Higher specialist training in respiratory, general and intensive care - Wessex deanery, 2012
Sophie Fletcher is the clinical lead for the respiratory department at University Hospital Southampton (UHS).
Since 2013, Dr Fletcher has led the ILD (interstitial lung disease) service, a regional specialist service recognised by NHS England that receives both national and international referrals.
She has represented UHS as a speaker for national bodies including
- Royal Society of Medicine
- British Thoracic Society
- British Lung Foundation.
Dr Fletcher has worked with the biomedical research unit, the British Lung Foundation, the University of Southampton and Queen Alexandra Hospital in Portsmouth to set up a patient support group for those in Wessex with ILD called WILD. You can find out more about the group on their website.
Dr Fletcher is an honorary senior clinical lecturer at the University of Southampton and has extensive experience of leading clinical trials in interstitial lung disease, as both a principal investigator and chief investigator. She has published her work in peer reviewed journals and presented at both national and international conferences. She also established an international ILD clinical research fellowship programme at UHS.
Awards and prizes
Following their collaborative work with the patient support group WILD, the ILD research team was shortlisted for a Nursing Times award in the category ‘respiratory nursing’.
The ILD research team was also nominated for a UHS Hospital Heroes award in March 2019.
Dr Fletcher's main research interests are idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) and interstitial lung disease, as well as critical care medicine and non-invasive ventilation.
Her publications include:
- Luca Richeldi, Sophie Fletcher, Huzaifa Adamali, Nazia Chaudhuri, Sabrina Wieb, Sven Wind, Kathrin Hohl, Andrew Baker, Rozsa Schlenker-Herceg, Susanne Stowasser, Toby M. Maher. No relevant pharmacokinetic drug-drug interaction between nintedanib and pirfenidone. Eur Respir J 2019.
- Giacomo Sgalla; Simon Walsh; Nicola Sverzellati; Sophie Fletcher; Stefania Cerri; Borislav Dimitrov; Dragana Nikolic; Anna Barney; Fabrizio Luppi; Mark Jones; Donna Davies; Luca Richeldi. "Velcro-type" crackles predict specific radiologic features of fibrotic interstitial lung disease BMC Pulmonary Medicine 2018;18:103.
- Fletcher S, Jones MG, Spinks K, Sgalla G, Marshall BG, Limbrey R, Richeldi L. The safety of new drug treatments for Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis. Expert Opinion Drug Safety 2016; 15:1483-1489.
You can contact Dr Fletcher via her secretary Brenda Perry - call 023 8120 6228 or send an email.