Diagnosis and treatment

Lung function testing

Conditions that we see include

  • asthma
  • hayfever (seasonal allergic rhinitis typically to grasses and trees)
  • perennial rhinitis (typically to house dust mite and animal dander)
  • allergy-related skin disorders - such as eczema, dermatitis, urticaria (hives) and angio-oedema (face, lips and tongue swelling, including hereditary angiodema)
  • bee and wasp sting allergy
  • drug allergy
  • anaphylaxis (severe allergic reaction)
  • food allergy and intolerance
  • latex allergy
  • recurrent or unusual infections (immunodeficiency)
  • conditions where the immune system attacks parts of the body (auto immune disease)


Our consultants lead outpatient clinics in allergy and immunology. We'll investigate and diagnose your condition, and draw up a plan to treat and manage it.

We aim to offer one-stop sessions at our allergy clinics. Immunology clinics will involve two sessions; testing you on your first visit and giving results, and diagnosis and treatment management on your second visit.


The tests we can use to help identify your allergy or immune disorder include

  • skin prick tests
  • food allergen challenges
  • drug challenges
  • pulmonary function tests (measuring how well your lungs work)
  • bronchial reactivity assessment (assessing how reactive your airways are)
  • investigating the causes of anaphylaxis
  • laboratory testing and investigations of your immune system.


Once we've identified your condition, we'll explain your treatment options. W'll help you to manage your condition at home where possible, but sometimes you will need to come to the hospital.

Treatments can range from

  • treating with drugs (pharmacotherapy)
  • avoiding the allergen
  • immunotherapy or desensitisation – where small amounts of the allergen are injected into your body to build up resistance
  • immunoglobulin replacement therapy.

Specialist nurses will give you advice and training on your treatment management plan, including how to use adrenaline pens (epi pens) and inhalers.

If you have a food allergy, a dietitian might also give you advice.