De Salvo, Dr Gabriella
Training and education
- Clinical fellowship in medical retina - Moorfields Eye Hospital, London
- Clinical and research fellowship in medical retina - University Hospital Southampton (UHS)
- Researcher - Ludwig Boltzmann Institut Vienna, Austria
- Researcher - Allgemeines Krankenhaus (AKH) Vienna, Austria
- Visiting doctor - Wills Eye Institute Philadelphia, USA
- Ophthalmology training - University of Palermo, Italy
- Medical school - University of Messina, Italy
Dr De Salvo is a consultant ophthalmologist who joined the Trust in April 2013. She has a special interest in medical retina and looks after patients with conditions like age related macular degeneration, poypoidal choroidal vasculopathy, central serous chorioretinopathy, diabetic retinopathy, intraocular tumours, and inflammatory and inherited retinal conditions.
Dr De Salvo is an investigator for various clinical trials and has a particular interest in retinal imaging (taking digital photos of the retina). She regularly teaches medical students, optometrists and junior doctors, and is responsible for the training of the ophthalmic photographers.
- Setting up a virtual imaging clinic for patients with stable age related macular degeneration in Southampton, Hampshire.
- Setting up a medical retina suite for the treatment of wet age related macular degeneration in Horsham, Surrey.
- Receiving a grant from the Italian Ministry of Education, University and Research (MIUR) for diabetic retinopathy.
Awards and prizes
- Bausch and Lomb research award (co-author) – research audit day, South Downs Planetarium, 2016
- Essilor SPO photography award - oftalmomiiase interna. 56° Congresso Portugues Oftalmologia, Algarve Tivoli Marina, 2013
- Franz Zagari award - best dissertation thesis in ophthalmology in Sicily for the University of Palermo, academic year 2004 to 2005
- Pietro Stella award - best ophthalmological dissertation thesis for the University of Palermo, 2004 to 2005
- S.O.Si. 30th Congress award - promising young ophthalmologist, 2004 to 2005
- Edoardo Calandra award - best medical dissertation thesis in Sicily, 2000 to 2001, School of Medicine
Dr De Salvo's main research interest is imaging, particularly spectral domain optical coherence tomography (SD-OCT), autofluorescence, fundus fluorescein angiography, andocyanine green angiography and OCT angiography.
Find out more about Dr De Salvo's publications.
Dr De Salvo can be contacted via her secretary on 023 8120 5073.