Eye movement disorders
Many of these conditions are diagnosed and treated during childhood, so also see children’s eyes and vision. They include:
- Amblyopia (lazy eye) - this is a reduction in vision which arises from a defect that is present in early childhood, and prevents the eye from receiving adequate stimulation.
- Squint - where the eye is misaligned.
- Defective binocular vision - the inability to use two eyes together.
- Abnormal eye movements - caused by injury or disease which can affect the eye muscles or nerves supplying these muscles.
- Diplopia (double vision) - this condition results from abnormal eye movements or squint.