Hammans, Dr Simon
MA MD FRCP
Dr Hammans has worked for the Trust since June 1994, and holds a weekly clinic in muscle disease and neurogenetics in Southampton.
He's the director of the regional muscle and nerve service for Wessex. In 2016, this service was awarded centre of excellence status by the charity Muscular Dystrophy UK.
- Establishing a multidisciplinary neuromuscular team serving Wessex and further afield
- With colleagues, arranging the first stem cell transplant in mitochondrial disease in the UK
- Being a major contributor to the 100,000 Genomes Project
Awards and prizes
Ralph Noble prize for medical research (Cambridge)
- Hammans. SR.Mitochondrial disease: old and new Advances in Clinical Neuroscience & Rehabilitation 2008: 7:(6):12-16
- Warner TT, Hammans SR, Practical Guide to Neurogenetics. Elsevier. 2008 (Editor and author of 6 chapters)
- Hammans SR. The inherited ataxias and the new genetics.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 1996 Oct;61(4):327-32.
You can contact Dr Hammans via his secretary, Claire Stanley - call 023 8120 4030 or send an email.