Corbett, Dr Simon
MA PhD FRCP
Training and education
- University of Cambridge MB/PhD programme 1989-1997
- Medical house jobs and rotation, Edinburgh 1997-2000
- Specialist registrar in cardiology in NW Thames 2000-7 (West Middlesex, Charing Cross, Northwick Park, Hammersmith and St Mary's Hospitals)
- Interventional fellowship with Dr Antonio Colombo, Milan, Italy, 2005-6
Dr Corbett has worked for the Trust since June 2008.
He is fully trained in all aspects of coronary intervention, having trained with the renowned pioneer and innovator Dr Antonio Colombo in Milan. His principal clinical interests are the use of angioplasty to treat heart attacks and the use of intra-vascular ultrasound and pressure wires to assess and guide treatment of coronary arteries.
His main research interests are participation in multi-centre, randomised clinical trials and local research projects evaluating the coronary pressure wire.
Dr Corbett is currently the topic advisor for the new National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) clinical guideline on acute coronary syndromes, which are due to be published in summer 2020. He previously served on NICE standing committees B and C for guideline updates from 2014 to 18, and on the guideline committee for NICE guidance on hyperglycaemia in acute coronary syndromes in 2009 to10.
From 2014 to 18, he was director of clinical effectiveness at UHS.
- Corbett SJ, Cosgrave J, Melzi G, Babic R, Biondi-Zoccai GGL, Godino C, Morici N, Airoldi F, Michev I, Montorfano M, Sangiorgi GM, Bonizzoni E and Colombo A. Patterns of restenosis after drug-eluting stent implantation: insights from a contemporary and comparative analysis of sirolimus- and paclitaxel-eluting stents. Eur Heart J 2006;27:2330-7.
- Curzen N, Rana O, Nicholas Z, Golledge P, Zaman A, Oldroyd K, Hanratty C, Banning A, Wheatcroft S, Hobson A, Chitkara K, Hildick-Smith D, McKenzie D, Calver A, Dimitrov B, and Corbett S. Does routine pressure wire assessment influence management strategy at coronary angiography for diagnosis of chest pain? The RIPCORD study. Circ Cardiovasc Interv 2014;7:248-55.
- Corbett SJ, NICE recommendations for the management of hyperglycaemia in acute coronary syndrome. Heart 2012;98:1189-1191 (Epub 2012 Jun 26).