Ullah, Dr Waqas
MBBS, BSc, MRCP, PhD
Cardiac electrophysiology and devices
Training and education
- BSc in neurosciences with first class honours - 2000
- Undergraduate medical training at Guy’s, King’s and St Thomas’ Hospitals in London (distinction in clinical subjects) - 2003
- Post-qualification junior training in London and the South East
- Specialty electrophysiology training at several prestigious centres including St Thomas’ Hospital in London, Eastbourne District General Hospital (under Dr S Furniss who was president of the British Heart Rhythm Society at the time), Harefield Hospital in London and St Bartholomew’s Hospital in London (under Prof R Schilling, current British Heart Rhythm Society president)
- PhD in clinical cardiac electrophysiology supervised by Prof Schilling - 2015
Dr Ullah is a consultant cardiologist who joined the Trust in 2016. He specialises in electrophysiology (the diagnosis and treatment of heart rhythm disorders) and the implantation and management of devices such as pacemakers.
He performs simple and complex ablations (a procedure using catheters to correct an abnormal heart rhythm), including in patients with adult congenital heart disease. He also implants and removes pacing devices (simple and complex).
Dr Ullah has a particular interest in complex ablation, with his clinical PhD and subsequent research focusing on this. He is a keen user of cutting edge technologies both for pacing and ablation, having published important papers evaluating new technologies with local, national and international groups.
- Undergraduate cardiology training lead at University Hospital Southampton
- Invited speaker at international scientific conferences
- Multiple research publications in international peer reviewed journals
Awards and prizes
- Highest scoring abstract in cardiac rhythm management - British Cardiac Society, 2015
- Young Investigator Award finalist - UK Heart Rhythm Congress 2013
- Lord Riddle Prize - 2001
Dr Ullah's publications include:
- Ullah W, Hunter RJ, Finlay M, McLean A, Dhinoja MB, Sporton S, Earley MJ, Schilling RJ. Ablation Index and Surround Flow Catheter Irrigation: Impedance-Based Appraisal in Clinical Ablation. JACC: EP 2017 June DOI: 10.1016/j.jacep.2017.03.011.
- Ullah W, et al. Randomized trial comparing pulmonary vein isolation using the SmartTouch catheter with or without real-time contact force data. Heart Rhythm. 2016 Sep;13(9):1761-7.
- Ullah W, et al. Catheter ablation of atrial fibrillation in patients with heart failure: impact of maintaining sinus rhythm on heart failure status and long-term rates of stroke and death. Europace. 2016 May;18(5):679-86.
You can find out more about Dr Ullah's research here.
You can contact Dr Ullah by calling his secretary on 023 8120 4036.