Fitzsimmons, Dr Samantha
MBChB BSc (hons) MRCP (UK)
Adult congenital heart disease (ACHD), pulmonary hypertension in ACHD and cardiac obstetrics
Training and education
- BSc in cardiovascular medicine (honours) - University of Glasgow, 2001
- MBChB - University of Glasgow, 2003
- British Society of Echocardiography accreditation: transthoracic echocardiography
- British Society of Echocardiography accreditation: transoesophageal echocardiography
Dr Fitzsimmons joined the Trust in October 2013, as a consultant cardiologist in adult congenital heart disease and lead consultant for pulmonary hypertension in adult congenital heart disease (ACHD).
In her lead consultant role, Dr Fitzsimmons works in collaboration with the Royal Brompton Hospital to enhance the diagnosis, care and treatment of patients with pulmonary hypertension in association with ACHD.
With a special interest in pregnancy and cardiovascular disease (congenital and acquired), Dr Fitzsimmons is a member of the maternity cardiac clinic team, ensuring a multidisciplinary approach to pregnancy care for women with cardiac problems. She's the co-lead consultant for cardiac obstetrics.
Dr Fitzsimmons is an experienced and accredited member of the British Society of Echocardiography in transthoracic and transoesophageal echocardiography. She is experienced in and has published work on the use of cardiopulmonary exercise testing in ACHD, and developing an expanding service.
Dr Fitzsimmons' publications include:
- Exercise-induced systemic venous hypertension in the Fontan circulation. American Journal of Cardiology, 2016
- Aortic coarctation assessed by contemporary multimodality cardiac imaging. Clinical Medicine, 2016
- MRI in adult patients with aortic coarctation: diagnosis and follow-up. Clinical Radiology, 2015
- Congenital heart disease – in adults. Medicine Journal, 2014
- Transcatheter closure of an inferior post infarction ventricular septal defect using a customised device. European Heart Journal, 2013
- Therapeutic pulmonary artery stenting for metastatic bronchial carcinoid. BMJ, 2013
- Simultaneous myocardial infarction and ischaemic stroke secondary to paradoxical emboli through a patent foramen ovale.Clinical Medicine, 2012
- Estrogen treatment enhances nitric oxide bioavailability in normotensive but not hypertensive rats. American Journal of Hypertension, 2006
- Effects of acute and chronic 17-b oestradiol treatment on the superoxide scavenging of nitric oxide in the aorta and brain of rats. Free Radical Research, 2004
Awards and prizes
- Young Investigator Award, British Congenital Cardiac Association, 2012.
- Research award for adult congenital heart disease, British Cardiovascular Society, 2013.
Gemma Short is Dr Fitzsimmons' secretary, you can email her at email@example.com.