Simpson, Dr Iain
MD FRCP FACC FESC
Training and education
- MBChB (medical degree) - University of Glasgow, 1980
- Cardiology training at Royal Infirmary Glasgow, University of California San Diego, St. George's Hospital London and the Royal Brompton Hospital, London
Dr Simpson is a consultant cardiologist. He joined the Trust in May 1992.
- President of the British Cardiovascular Society 2012-2015
- President elect of the British Cardiovascular Society 2011-2012
- Vice president, education and research, British Cardiovascular Society 2008-2011
- Vice president elect, education and research, British Cardiovascular Society 2007-2008
- Chairman of the programme committee, British Cardiovascular Society 2008-2011
- Member of the programme committee, British Cardiovascular Society 2006-2008
- Commissioning editor of 'Heart' 2002-2006
- Associate editor of 'Heart' 1999-2002
- Council Member, British Cardiac Society, 1998-2002
- Member of the project grants committee, British Heart Foundation 1996-1999
- Member of the editorial board for 'Heart', formerly British Heart Journal, 1995-1999
- Divisional clinical director, specialist services division, University Hospital Southampton 2006- 2008
- Clinical services director, cardiothoracic unit, University Hospital Southampton 2005-2006
- Deputy clinical services director, cardiothoracic Unit, University Hospital Southampton 2002-2005
- Member of the information strategy steering group, University Hospital Southampton 1994-2012
Key awards and prizes
- Mackenzie Medal for outstanding contribution to British cardiology - British Cardiovascular Society, 2016
- Gold clinical excellence award, NHS
- British American Research Fellowship of the American Heart Association and British Heart Foundation
Dr Simpson's publications include:
- Cardiac Doppler Ultrasound : A Clinical Perspective.Eds. A.B. Houston, I.A. Simpson. Wright, London, U.K. 1988.
- Lecture Notes in Cardiology. 4th & 5th Editions Eds. H.H. Gray, K.D. Dawkins, J.M. Morgan, I.A. Simpson. Blackwell Scientific Publications London, 2002 & 2007.
Dr Simpson also has 93 original publications in peer review journals, 19 major textbook chapters and 122 published abstracts. He's given 80 invited lectures on subjects including mainly cardiac imaging and interventional cardiology.