Simmonds, Dr Peter
MB BS (Hons) FRACP
Breast cancer, bone and soft tissue sarcomas, testicular cancer.
Training and education
Trained in general medicine and oncology in Melbourne, Australia before coming to Southampton to take up a clinical research fellowship and subsequent appointment as senior lecturer in medical oncology.
Dr Simmonds has worked for University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust since 1992.
He extensive experience as a consultant since 1996 in the non surgical management of breast cancer, bone and soft tissue sarcomas and testicular cancer.
- Leading an active clinical trial programme in breast cancer and soft tissue sarcoma in Southampton.
- Involvement in the development and conduct of a number of national breast cancer clinical trials.
- Member of the NCRI Breast and Testicular cancer clinical studies groups.
Key awards and prizes
Several research grants to undertake clinical studies in breast cancer.
- Simmonds P. Palliative chemotherapy for advanced colorectal cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Colorectal Cancer Collaborative Group. BMJ 2000; 321:531-5
- Colorectal Cancer Collaborative Group. Surgery for colorectal cancer in elderly patients – a systematic review including aggregate data from 28 prospective surgical series. Lancet 2000; 356:968-74
- Simmonds PD, Primrose JN, Colquitt JL, Garden OJ, Poston GJ, Rees M.
Surgical resection of hepatic metastases from colorectal cancer: a systematic review of published studies. Br J Cancer. 2006 Apr 10;94(7):982-99.
- Poole CJ, Earl HM, Hiller L, Dunn JA, Bathers S, Grieve RJ, Spooner DA,Agrawal RK, Fernando IN, Brunt AM, O'Reilly SM, Crawford SM, Rea DW, Simmonds P, Mansi JL, Stanley A, Harvey P, McAdam K, Foster L, Leonard RC, Twelves CJ; NEAT Investigators and the SCTBG. Epirubicin and cyclophosphamide, methotrexate, and fluorouracil as adjuvant therapy for early breast cancer. N Engl J Med. 2006 Nov 2;355(18):1851-62.
- Tapper W, Hammond V, Gerty S, Ennis S, Simmonds P, Collins A, Posh Steering Group, Eccles D. The influence of genetic variation in thirty selected genes on the clinical characteristics of early onset breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res. 2008 Dec 18;10(6):R108.