Wheater, Dr Matthew
BM, MRCP, PhD
Genitourinary cancers, germ cell tumours, melanoma
Training and education
- University of Southampton School of Medicine
- Medical oncology specialist registrar rotation, Wessex region
- Clinical research fellow in medical oncology, Cancer Research UK, 2007 to 2010.
Dr Wheater has worked for the Trust since August 2011.
He completed specialist training in medical oncology in Bristol, Southampton and Portsmouth, between 2004 and 2011.
- PhD in molecular biology of breast and kidney cancers.
- Chief investigator for a national chemotherapy trial for relapsed germ cell cancers (Gem-TIP).
- Wheater M, Manners J, Nolan L, Simmonds P, Hayes M, Mead GM; The clinical features and management of testicular germ cell tumours in men older than 60 years. BJU Int. 2011 [Epub ahead of print]
- Wheater M, Johnson PW, Blaydes JP; The role of MNK proteins and eIF4E phosphorylation in breast cancer cell proliferation and survival. Cancer Biol Ther. 2010; 10 (7) 728-735
- Nolan L, Wheater M, Kirby J, Simmonds P, Mead GM; Late relapse (>2 years) on surveillance in non-seminomatous germ cell tumours: predominant seminoma only histology. BJU Int. 2010;106(11):1648-51
- Crabb S, Wheater M; Advances in chemotherapy and targeted systemic therapies for urothelial cancer. Current Drug Therapy. 2010;5:17-28
- Wheater M, Lowndes S, Johnson PW; Multidisciplinary Treatment of Cancer: Chemotherapy; in Imaging in Oncology 3rd Edition 2010
- Wheater M, Bhandari S, Fennell J, Mead G M; Recombinant Factor VIIa in the management of pulmonary haemorrhage associated with metastatic choriocarcinoma. J Clin Oncol. 2008 Feb 20;26(6):1008-10