Charlton, Dr Gareth A
BSc MBBCh FRCA
Adult and paediatric cardiac anaesthesia
Training and education
University of Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa.
Dr Charlton has worked for the Trust since 1992.
After qualifying in South Africa, he trained as an anaesthetist in London, at St Bartholomews and Guys Hospitals, and in Southampton. Dr Charlton spent a year at Denver Children's Hospital to gain experience in paediatric cardiac anaesthesia, and was appointed as a consultant at Southampton General Hospital in 1992.
- Running the Wessex final FRCA course, 1998 to 2003
- Clinical services director for critical care, 2002 to 2006
- Chairman of the medical staff committee since 2006
- Chairman of the integrated critical care steering group since 2007.
Awards and prizes
Awarded the Evelyn Baker medal in 2007 by the Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain for outstanding clinical competence.
- Friesen RH, Wurl J, Charlton GA. Haemodynamic depression by halothane is age-related in paediatric patients. Paediatric Anaesthesia 2000, 10, 267-72.
- Monnery L, Nanson J, Charlton GA. Primary pulmonary hypertension in pregnancy; a role for novel vasodilators. British Journal of Anaesthesia 2001; 87 (2): 295-298.
- Olufolabi AJ, Charlton GA, Allen SA, Mettam IM, Roberts PR. The use of implantable cardioverter defibrillator and anti-arrhythmic agents in a parturient. British Journal of Anaesthesia 2002; 89 (4): 652-655.
- Olufolabi AJ, Charlton GA, Spargo PM. Effect of head posture on tracheal tube position in children. Anaesthesia 2004; 59 (11): 1069-72.