De La Peña, Dr Hugo
MD, PhD, MRCP
Breast cancer and cancer of unknown primary
Training and education
- Medical oncology training - Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- PhD in cancer immunotherapy - Royal Free Hospital, University College London
- Postdoctoral research fellowship in tumour immunology - NIMR/MRC London and Downing College, University of Cambridge
- Postdoctoral research fellowship in translational cancer immunotherapy - medical school, University Hospitals Bimingham NHS Foundation Trust
Dr De La Peña is a consultant medical oncologist who specialises in treating breast cancer and cancer of unknown primary (when the part of the body where the cancer started can't be determined).
He is also a quality improvement faculty member for the Royal College of Physicians.
Awards and prizes
- At medical school, Dr De La Peña graduated first place in his class, with the highest score and maximum double honorary mention: summa cum laude and magna cum laude.
- First ever chief registrar of the Royal College of Physicians - 2018 to 19
- Winner of the European Young Scientist Award 2010 on behalf of the European Association for Cancer Research for outstanding contribution in the field of progress in vaccination against cancer - St Catharine’s College, University of Cambridge
- Winner of the Young Scientist Award on behalf of the British Society for Histocompatibility and Immunogenetics (BSHI) for outstanding contributions to cancer immunotherapy - 2004
- MHC class I-associated phosphopeptides are the targets of memory-like immunity in leukemia.Cobbold M, De La Peña H, Norris A, Polefrone JM, Qian J Williams ME, Hunt DF, Engelhard VH.Science Translational Medicine. 2013 Sep 18;5(203). PMID: 24048523
- Highly purified Th17 cells from BDC2.5NOD mice convert into Th1-like cells in NOD/SCID recipient mice.Bending D, De La Peña H, Veldhoen M, Phillips JM, Uyttenhove C, Stockinger B, Cooke A.J Clin Invest. 2009 Mar;119(3):565-72. PMID: 19188681
- Artificial exosomes as tools for basic and clinical immunology.De La Peña H, Madrigal JA, Rusakiewicz S, Bencsik M, Cave GW, Selman A, Rees RC, Travers PJ, Dodi IA.J Immunol Methods. 2009 May 31;344(2):121-32. PMID: 19345222
You can contact Dr De La Peña via his secretary Donna Donelan - call 023 8120 3463 or send an email.